F310 review by Yamaha

Yamaha: F310

I think it has a good sound for price it was, some cheaper guitars sound really awful and can put beginners off learning to play. It has I nice clear soft sound, but can sound harder and more twangy depending on picking position and strength. I like to play a kind of experimental dance-rock music and I make up a lot of my songs while messing around on this guitar, but I would mainly play them on my electric. I like to use muted picking, and it sounds good on this guitar. I also like to play finger picking occasionally. The sound isnt amazing or anything, but I think it's better than you would expect for a guitar of this price.

I think this guitar really suits me, and it is versatile, so it would suit a lot of different players.I have been playing for just under a year now, and I think I wouldn't be as good a player if I didn't start of with this guitar, I also own an Epiphone Les Paul 100, and a Roland Micro Cube amplifier. I would STRONGLY recomend the F310 to any beginner, but it would be a step backwards for most people as a second guitar, unless it is a replacement for a guitar of the same level, or a backup. And finally, if it was lost or stolen I would be sad, but I wouldn't buy another F310. I would break out the savings account and invest in a more advanced guitar, this guitar has served me well but it might be time to move on from entry level guitars soon.

This guitar is a tank. I've dropped it, smashed it into things, slipped in the rain while running to catch a bus with it on my back (that was actually my other guitar, but it makes the story more interesting), and my sister is endlessly knocking it over. I brought it on a camping trip in the summer. It survived the bus journey that my ipod almost didn't (stolen by junkies, and was retreived by the police while the bus stopped for a toilet break, to cut a long story short. And yes, I know the misadventures of my ipod have nothing to do with guitars). I had to keep it (the guitar) in my tent, which was also occupied by my 15 stone friend, Who threatened to roll over it in his sleep. I then left it on the beach, and later rescued it seconds before it was submerged by the tide. It is full of sand and various small stones. As for gigging, I would use my elecrtic guitar, an Epiphone Les Paul 100 which I buoght second hand (an unreal guitar, by the way.), so I wouldn't worry about it.

The action is good, there isnt any buzz, it was really well set up when I got it, which was good because I wouldn't have known how to adjust it because it was my first guitar. I'd say it was set up in the shop, crowleys staff know what they're doing, so it mightn't set up as well in a different shop. The finish doesnt't scratch easily. The pick guard is black plastic and has barely any scratches (I realized while writing this that I forgot to take off the plastic covering, I can't take it off now because my prized Radiohead sticker would go with it... ). The guitar doesnt't have any flaws(none that my untrained eyes noticed anyway... ).

I bought it about 10 months ago in Crowleys in cork (the shop where Rory Gallagher bought his first strat) for around 130 euro. Everything is really expensive in ireland, so it would probably be cheaper in other countries. It came with a spare set of strings, a padded gig-bag, & they threw in some picks aswell. It was made in Indonesia. The neck is slightly chunky, but not too thick, it has 20 frets. It has a Dreadnought style body, a cutaway would have been nice, especially as my style of playing uses a lot of the higher frets. It only has one strap button, so you have to tie a strap around the headstock, it seems sturdy though. I'm thinking of adding a second strap button. The tuners are good, they stay in tune for a long time. I'm going to give it 8 for features, because although the included bag and strings made it good a good choice for a beginner (it was my first guitar), the lack of a cutaway started to annoy me as I developed my own style of playing, and it could have done with another strap button.