F310 review by Yamaha

Yamaha: F310

The sound that this guitar has that no other has is the high frequency. I think this is because it is so light. The bass has enough definetion and the mids are about as defined as mids are. Not to warm though. It definetelly doesn't have the warmth of a Taylor of Gibson, the whole overtone quality thing. It's quieter than some but projects okay. They warm up a little bit over time, not near as much as a solid top. I really wish that the big three manufactors would research making a lighweight acoustic, as I think this is the reason for the high frequencies. There is not so much mass to stiffle the highest frequencies. On my Army hearing test, they told me I "have like, X-ray hearing" Anyway, this guitar is super clear but yeah, no good overtones. What else. I am thinking about revoicing one of them by shaving some bracing to see what that does. Oh yeah. Yamaha. Start making these again, will ya?

Overall, a very thin bright sounding guitar. Clean. Probably too thin. The longest I playing one was in Iraq for 15 months, so hopefully these other ones will open up a bit or the revoicing will help. I might go to the touble of putting the expression system in one. I really liked that system on my Taylor. That should open some eyes at Taylor. Having them put a $500 pickup system in a $100 guitar. If you can get your hands on one of these, I would. They are selling for sometimes $100 more now than when they discontinued them. Might be a good thing to have in 10 years. You would think that would open some eyes at Yamaha.

Pretty durable for being so light. I don't trash my guitars though.

Action is okay, like all guitars should probably be customized, finish is pretty good for being cheap. If the frets are sharp at the edges, sand them down! I'm giving it a 9, because it is great for the cheapest Yamaha acoustic.

I have 15 guitars but have had about 30. A lot of electrics. I recently sold my Taylor 314CE because it got a muddy and undefined on the bass side when I got back from Iraq. I have a 72' Epiphone (nice) and a 63' Gibson. The first time that I played one of these was the one in Iraq that I bought out of necesitty. Since I've been back, I have learned that Yamaha discontinued them. It's a shame since it was the best selling guitar in the UK from what I've read. They replaced it. First I tried the replacement, but it didn't have the same zap on the high strings. It's a bit heavier. I went to 4 guitar centers and played every Acoustic and could not find the sound that I had in Iraq. So, since they discontinued this one, I now have 3. I have heard a lot of reviews, like the one on here with the guys uncle, saying that this guitar is primo.