F335 review by Yamaha

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Yamaha: F335

Purchased from: Nobody

I became the owner of a Yamaha F335 acoustic guitar one fateful night while looking for a parking spot outside our complex my wife spotted an abandoned guitar with a tobacco brown sunburst finish lying by the side of the road. Yeah, this is gonna be kinda silly. Walking up to the dreadnought style body made of a laminated spruce top with meranti back and sides, I noticed the neck had been severely cracked. I didn't have the heart to just leave it there, faux tortoiseshell pickguard and all. So, like an abused and abandoned animal I rescued the Indonesian made Yamaha F335 from the harsh, cold night and took it home to nurse it back to health.

The neck was not completely broken off, the twenty fret rosewood fingerboard was holding things together. To repair the neck I put a generous amount of Gorilla Glue inside the crack and then clamped the pieces tightly together for 24 hours. After replacing a missing bridge pin from the rosewood bridge I restrung the guitar with a set of extra light (10-47) Martin acoustic guitar strings. The gold die-cast tuners have been holding tune and the neck repair has been holding up for well over a month at the time of writing this review.

I'm not a fan of acoustic guitars. I have owned an acoustic guitar and a classical guitar in the past, but I prefer the feel of smaller string gauges and lower action that electric guitars typically provide. My taste in music favors the rock genres, primarily punk rock. Acoustic guitars are heard sparingly in punk, so for the most part an acoustic guitar would not be a good fit for that style of music as a primary guitar. On the other hand, it wouldn't hurt to have one in your collection.

Although I am not a fan of acoustic guitars I will admit that I have been impressed with the rich and full sound the F335 makes. Low, middle and high frequencies all sound well balanced; not too much or too little. The guitars tone sounds like it could be coming from a guitar in a higher price range

I cannot really comment accurately in regards to the guitar's fit and finish considering that I found this guitar abandoned outdoors. It doesn't look as though it spent any extended period of time out in the elements though. Additionally, I do not know what year the guitar was made. But it cannot be too old seeing that this model is easily found online and carried by multiple retailers.

No flaws come to mind. I have not noticed any poorly filed fretwires that stick out. I haven't noticed any flaws in the finish or oxidized hardware either. The tuning pegs were loose when I found the guitar but I suspect they became loose from whatever trauma was inflicted on it when the neck was cracked.

I am willing to bet Yamaha's F335 can withstand the demands of live playing. Although the gold die-cast tuning machines feel light and cheap, they have been holding tune remarkably well. Musicians who take decent care of their equipment should enjoy them lasting a long time. When cleaning the F335 I highly recommend sticking to cleaning solutions specifically made for cleaning guitars. The gold on the tuners can be wiped off rather easily. Especially if you use silver polish like someone I know... Ok, it was me.

I think I could depend on this guitar for an entire performance without relying on a backup. I don't advise ever playing without a backup but the guitar's structural integrity feels like it is dependable. Although this feels like a cheap guitar it somehow feels solid. Yamaha seems to be pushing the limits of how solid a cheap guitar can feel. The gloss finish appears to be adequate although it may be to blame for giving the guitar a plastic feel.

In my opinion the Yamaha F335 is a well constructed "budget guitar" that sounds good and feels good to play. I have been playing guitar since 1994 and have owned numerous guitars over the years. Today I am the owner of a Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul, Gretsch 5120, Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Sheraton and a Yamaha SG which are all played through a Fender Mustang 1 v.2 amplifier.

If my F335 were lost or stolen I would check out what other guitars are available on the market before buying another one. However, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this guitar to anyone looking for a low-end acoustic. Overall, the Yamaha F335 is an impressive “budget guitar.” What impressed me most are the tuning machines, string action, and comfortable feel of the neck.