F340 review by Yamaha

Yamaha: F340

Purchased from: MusicStop

Personally, I play all sorts of acoustic rock. Slow, fast, you name it. This Yamaha has tried everything. The sound is fairly pure, but the individual notes tend to get mixed together a bit. This one is definitely good for the strumming, campfire sing-alongs, but when played live it is, well, half-decent. For songs that require alot of picking, this guitar might not be quite what you're after, but not too bad. It suits me and my style perfectly. When you add on a capo, it responds perfectly, and sounds sweet and very "hometown acoustic", if you see what I'm saying. The sound of this guitar, no matter what the circumstances, is very full and robust. It's not too loud, either, so it won't drown you out during a campfire performance. That way, the folks that live across the lake will still pay you their compliments the day after. There aren't many bad things to say about this one, but what did you expect? It's a Yamaha!

This guitar is absolutely superb for beginners, and just as excellent for the advanced guitarists. It's nicely balanced, and a good all-around acoustic. The strings are nice and close to the fretboard, so it's great for fast songs, too. The one thing that caught my eye with this one is that it is just so damn comfortable! In fact, nothing would stop me from playing it while I'm ass-naked! (except then I would get some pretty ugly smudge marks on the back of it.) If this guitar were stolen, I would definitely buy another, it's worth every penny. I've played for about 11 years, and owned 4 acoustics. This one is my favourite out of all 4 (which include two Seagull's and a Taylor Big Baby). I definitely recommend this Yamaha to anyone, especially beginners.

This guitar is so strong a durable, and trust me, it's been through quite a bit. The finish never seems to chip or scratch, no matter how many cats jump on and off for no apparent reason (I hate the little bastards). The hardware is probably going to last forever, or so it seems. The only part I really dislike, is that the stupid little strap button on the bottom of the guitar will come out without any trouble. Gravity seems to have no problem yanking it right out, but thankfully, it won't come out while I'm playing standing up (because it's got too much weight on it to move). I would definitely play a gig with this one, without backup, it's just too dependable.

This one was perfectly in balance when I picked her up, and she hasn't changed a bit. The hardware is absolutely excellent, and all cuts of the wood are smooth and neat. In all aspects, it looks very pretty (excuse my pansy language). The action is superb, and the finish is great. Like any black coloured guitar, this one tends to show-off fingerprints and dust, but who's gonna blame ya? As for this category, it's absolutely perfect.

My cousin recommended this guitar to me, and I must say, it is quite nice. Made in 2001, in Indonesia (I know, I was surprised, too). 20 frets, laminated top, made of Cedar, I believe, with a dark, maple neck. Mine happens to have a black finish, but it comes in a nice natural finish too. It has a relatively thin neck, so it's easy to wrap all 5 fingers around (definitely a benefit for acoustic guitarists). I've had it for almost 2 years now, and I still can't get enough. The only downside as far as the features go, is that the tuners tend to relax a bit, but I find it depends on the gauge of your strings (I use 12's or 13's). But either way, it's absolutely beautiful.