F340 Review

manufacturer: Yamaha date: 03/21/2007 category: Acoustic Guitars
Yamaha: F340
Spruce Top. Meranti Back & sides. Nato Neck. Rosewood Fingerboard & Bridge. Covered Chrome Tuning machines.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.5
 8.2
 9.2
 7.1
 18,715
reviews (2) 5 comments vote for this gear:
F340 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 27, 2004

Purchased from: MusicStop

Features: My cousin recommended this guitar to me, and I must say, it is quite nice. Made in 2001, in Indonesia (I know, I was surprised, too). 20 frets, laminated top, made of Cedar, I believe, with a dark, maple neck. Mine happens to have a black finish, but it comes in a nice natural finish too. It has a relatively thin neck, so it's easy to wrap all 5 fingers around (definitely a benefit for acoustic guitarists). I've had it for almost 2 years now, and I still can't get enough. The only downside as far as the features go, is that the tuners tend to relax a bit, but I find it depends on the gauge of your strings (I use 12's or 13's). But either way, it's absolutely beautiful. // 10

Sound: Personally, I play all sorts of acoustic rock. Slow, fast, you name it. This Yamaha has tried everything. The sound is fairly pure, but the individual notes tend to get mixed together a bit. This one is definitely good for the strumming, campfire sing-alongs, but when played live it is, well, half-decent. For songs that require alot of picking, this guitar might not be quite what you're after, but not too bad. It suits me and my style perfectly. When you add on a capo, it responds perfectly, and sounds sweet and very "hometown acoustic", if you see what I'm saying. The sound of this guitar, no matter what the circumstances, is very full and robust. It's not too loud, either, so it won't drown you out during a campfire performance. That way, the folks that live across the lake will still pay you their compliments the day after. There aren't many bad things to say about this one, but what did you expect? It's a Yamaha! // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This one was perfectly in balance when I picked her up, and she hasn't changed a bit. The hardware is absolutely excellent, and all cuts of the wood are smooth and neat. In all aspects, it looks very pretty (excuse my pansy language). The action is superb, and the finish is great. Like any black coloured guitar, this one tends to show-off fingerprints and dust, but who's gonna blame ya? As for this category, it's absolutely perfect. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is so strong a durable, and trust me, it's been through quite a bit. The finish never seems to chip or scratch, no matter how many cats jump on and off for no apparent reason (I hate the little bastards). The hardware is probably going to last forever, or so it seems. The only part I really dislike, is that the stupid little strap button on the bottom of the guitar will come out without any trouble. Gravity seems to have no problem yanking it right out, but thankfully, it won't come out while I'm playing standing up (because it's got too much weight on it to move). I would definitely play a gig with this one, without backup, it's just too dependable. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is absolutely superb for beginners, and just as excellent for the advanced guitarists. It's nicely balanced, and a good all-around acoustic. The strings are nice and close to the fretboard, so it's great for fast songs, too. The one thing that caught my eye with this one is that it is just so damn comfortable! In fact, nothing would stop me from playing it while I'm ass-naked! (except then I would get some pretty ugly smudge marks on the back of it.) If this guitar were stolen, I would definitely buy another, it's worth every penny. I've played for about 11 years, and owned 4 acoustics. This one is my favourite out of all 4 (which include two Seagull's and a Taylor Big Baby). I definitely recommend this Yamaha to anyone, especially beginners. // 10

F340 Reviewed by: XVentura, on march 21, 2007

Purchased from: Music Concept

Features: Made quite a while ago from Korea. It has 19 frets, but you can really only get up to about 15 or 16 before you really have to stretch. It's one-piece guitar (as far as I can tell), and is laminated really well. This acoustic guitar is really one for beginners because it's cheap, but really, it sounds amazing. // 8

Sound: I play quite a bit of Oasis stuff with this guitar. So generally chords and all. Have to say, it sounds really really good. You get a really hollow but full sound when a chord is strum. It's easy to press down on frets and the sound is clean and full. I also play a bit of classical, which obviously is harder than playing on a Spanish guitar, but works as well. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up well from the factory. Obviously there's not much to set up from the factory for an acoustic, except basically just tuning, which it was perfectly done. There were no flaws in this guitar at all. I've recently chipped a bit of wood on the bottom of it but it's not affected the sound in the least. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will definitely withstand Live playing. The sound is full, nice and loud. It's an amazing guitar to play to a small audience because the sound resonates around the room and enhances the 'warm' feeling. It's a great guitar. The strap button is pretty solid. I can definitely depend on it. The only slightly annoying thing is that it doesn't stay in tune for long however, obviously that's a 10 second job each time you want to play, which is worth it for a guitar of this quality. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said before, I play chordsy stuff like Oasis and a bit of classical (just started learning). It sounds amazing. I've been playing for about a year, with this being my first guitar. It's helped develop my skills massively (well, all of my skills since it's my only guitar). It's perfect for beginners and I've had more advanced players saying that this guitar is really good and worth well more than what I paid for it. Yamaha really kicks ass in the acoustic guitar departmnet. I didn't compare it too many other guitars because of my budget, but obviously this sounded the best and was recommended as well. Great guitar. // 9

Comments