F350 Review

manufacturer: Yamaha date: 04/04/2005 category: Acoustic Guitars
The Yamaha F350 is just another guitar with a low price. But it's low price and moderate features give it that extra point, that many high priced models dont give. This was made in 2000, in Indonesia (wood comes cheap here). It's got 20 frets, a natural finish and the base wood is mahogany. This dreadnought guitar is pretty good for its price.
 6.7
 6.8
 6.6
 7,002
review (1) 3 comments vote for this gear:
F350 Reviewed by: eastern_riffs, on april 04, 2005

Purchased from: MG Music

Features: The Yamaha F350 is just another guitar with a low price. But it's low price and moderate features give it that extra point, that many high priced models dont give. This was made in 2000, in Indonesia (wood comes cheap here). It's got 20 frets, a natural finish and the base wood is mahogany. This dreadnought guitar is pretty good for its price, and I can easily compare it to my other acoustics (an Ovation Celebrity and an AJ10. And both these guitars cost more than the F350). What I dont like about this guitar is that the tuning is never stable, as the tuners are non-locking. And there are no fringe benefits with this guitar, though I got a gig bag as it was on promotion. Another thing that I don't like is the large size of the body in comparison to the fretboard. It makes me feel awkward. // 8

Sound: The sound is pretty good, though the frets are a little buzzy. Strings get worn very soon on this guitar, though I do not know why. It's just a simple dreadnought guitar, with no add ons such as a pick up. But the good side is that it has a bright sound, which is pretty suitable to some of the songs I play. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Setting of the guitar at the factory was average.. I already had a small dent at the back of the body which I noticed once I got home. Indonesia has the resources, they just need to be more efficient. Another thing I didnt like about this guitar is the large size of the body in comparison to the frets. As I mentioned before, this difference in my hands makes me feel awkward. Another problem with this guitar is the wearing of strings. Strings wear very fast with this guitar (I'm changing the set every month). Tuning pegs are not up to the mark, with the screws already coming off after 3 months. Pegs are getting rusted now, though it's not a drastic change. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I wouldn't use this guitar on a gig, even though I play a lot of acoustic guitar. The reason is because I have 2 other acoustic guitars, which are better than this one in some ways. I bought this guitar because I wanted a change from my usual Ovation. I thought this guitar would be very good, but after a week of playing it started dropping off. Hardware wont last long, I'll have to change it soon. I plan to mod this guitar completely, as that's the only use I see it for. Maybe I could depend on it, but I wouldn't try. Atleast not in front of people who've paid to see me. // 6

Overall Impression: I play all kinds of music, from classical to jazz. I can use this guitar for some uses such as practicing at home, and very soon I plan to modify it. I've been playing for 5 years now, and I also own an Ibanez IC300, JD Strat Copy (this is an unknown brand), Squier Showmaster, Ovation Celebrity, Epiphone AJ10, Vox Pathfinder amp and a Zoom Fire-30. I really wished I had asked the salesmen on how long this guitar would last, and how much resale value it would have after 6 months. I really don't know now, but I still plan to keep it. If it were stolen? I would just sit and think on another guitar, I'm not buying this again! I love its low price and its bright sound (which we get to hear at the beginning of every month, when I change the strings). Other than that, I don't love anything, but neither do I hate. When I was buying, I saw this Ibanez TCY series guitar (blue color). The only difference I noticed then was price and color. So I bought this one. I wish it had a pick up, and locking tuning pegs. But then, if it doesnt have, well, let's not forget the low price. // 6

Comments