FD01 review by Yamaha

Yamaha: FD01

Price paid: C$ 180

Purchased from: Long and McQuade

I've played this guitar on stage many times, it was very faithful to me, always seem to get the job done. The tuners are a piece of shit, they seem to always take a lot to tighten the strings. Good sound for gospel music, and country, maybe even a BIT of blues. It's served me very well, I think that if I'm going to continue gigging with an acocustic I'm going to get a better guitar. Very excellent choice for a begginer though.

I Play in a Church band called the God Squad. (Pun Intended from Mod Squad). We play church stuff. I learned the accoustic from playing country music, and this guitar is great for that. I can play some blues, some jazz even, work on some stupid little riffs too. This is deffinately not a top of the line guitar, it is intended for a beginner. So unless you have no expericance, don't buy this guitar. This may be considered a backup, but I don't think I would.

I would never play a gig without a back-up, and no, I don't see myself playing this guitar in a year or two from now. Some of the hardware such as the tuners don't seem like they would last a good 15-20 years. But hey, you can't expect a whole lot for a kit guitar. The glossy finish does not seem like it's doing to dissapear, which is good and bad. This guitar picks up a lot of finger prints, so I'm constantly having to wipe it down.

There were no flaws with the guitar when I got it. It was just a tune up, and play kind of guitar. It comes in a set with a Gig bag, Stand, Picks, Shitty tuner, un-comfortable strap, an extra set of strings, normalities like that. Considering it was intended for a beginner, I believe it's probably one of the best beginner accoustics.

This beginners Yamaha accoustic was made in China. It has 20 frets, a shiny Spruce top, Mahogany back, sides, and neck, a beautiful rosewood fred board, and sports a shiny black pick-guard. It is also equipped with a natural gloss paint on the top. The headstock is that of a normal accoustic, with the Yamaha name on the top. Scratches easily, but when treated well, looks very good on stage.

spikedemon!
    probably $100 or less depending on condition. I have the same one that was my first guitar and came with a starter package for $180. This guitar sounds very nice with new strings and tunes well, the only think I don't like about it is not having a cutaway.
    ThePinkFloydian
    You won't find many acoustics at this price that produce such a clean crisp reverberated sound like this baby. The tendency for the neck to warp inwards, causing dead frets near the centre of the board (12th/13th/14th) is a big downfall. I don't personally find the lack of a cutaway to be too much of an issue as I find acoustics generally don't sound great that high up the fret board.
    RaySte
    What do you mean by "warp inwards"? Is it a backbow or a forward bow which can be corrected by adjusting the truss rod?