FD02 review by Yamaha

Yamaha: FD02

Purchased from: Costco

I really play tabs from this website, and rock and roll. It suits me just fine, this being my first guitar. The guitar has a warm melow sound, no doubt affected by the Folk strings included. I am thinking of changing them to Martin silk and steel's, on recommendation of a more experianced player. For a guitar worth probably less or at $100, it is the shiznight. Plays like a guitar should, you can get it to sound a lot of different ways. A ten because of its value once again, sounds much more expensive.

Excellent match at my skill level, or any really. I have been playing for a year, and my guitar teacher Admire the quality of the guitar. I don't own any other guitars. Nothing I would (or could've) asked, 'cause hey, it's Costco. I would buy it again in a heartbeat. Love nearly everything about it. Except for the last couple frets, strap peg, and stock strings. I will probably replace the strings with matin silk and steels, and my friend also recommended that I take the bridge off the guitar. Cannot compare this guiat to anything near its price, kicks the crap out of the competition harder than a Chuck Norris roundhouse kick to the face.

This guitar will last forever. I have banged it (not in the hubba hubba sense) on the concrete, on doors, and on dorr frames, and this thing I bullet proof. Not one scratch! The strap button is very solid. The finish is immaculate, durable, and practically scratch proof. And my friend, who has been playin guiatr alll his life has a 1972 FD02, and it sounds awesome! It sounds like a handcrafted guitar made by a Skitsophrenic with perfect hearing and with nothing else to do than make guitars. Proof that good things get better with age. Perfect ten baby.

Everything is perfect about the guitar. Killer looks, no frills features, it has everything. There are no defects except for one, it only has one strap peg, and it came with a strap, which leads you to believe it would have two. And it is impossible to use the strap by putting it over the top. Everything is perfect, it feels incredibly solid. I mean, this thing came from costco of all places, and it feels 8times better than anything within $300 dollars of it, including squiers, ect. I will say this, the last 8 frets are very hard to acess and play because of the neck's starting point. A nine because of the frets mainly, and the strap problem.

Standing behind the FD02 is the long standing Tradition of excellence found in every Yamaha guitar. - Top: spruce - Back and sides: mahogany - Neck: mahogany - Fretboard: rosewood - Bridge: sonokeling - Frets: 20 - Hardware: closed gold - Finishes: natural gloss.

s3ank1m
    i got this for christmas 2005 very nice guitar not the best sounding but the most durable guitar ive ever seen
    ChopSuey19
    I don't know for sure, but if the FD02 is anything like my FD01S, then it must be pretty good. Cruddy strings and VERY low action are the only problems i have with it. A great sound, very vibrant.
    d0rkypn0y1029
    this is my first guitar too! and from costco! it's a great beginner guitar. i've literally dropped and hit the thing against concrete, desks, chairs, walls and it still has no cracks or anything. i've had it for a few years now and it's good, but i'm thinking about getting a different guitar. the only thing that drives me nuts is the pegs. it's literally like pulling teeth trying to get those things out. but still a good buy for the cheapness i got it for
    tim.lally.507
    Bought my FD02 on ebay for $76 what a bargain. This is a great sounding guitar, nice action. I couldn't have asked for much more but, it is also a good looking instrument.
    lurajoonami
    this my first acoustic guitar, and the only on I've been playing for the last year. It's really durable, I've banged it up quite a few times, and it stays intact everytime. it's definately a begginners guitar. I've changed my string three times without any problems from the guitar. The problem is, that I don't like big guitars with the dreadnaught design, it echoes lots, but has wonderful volume while keeping the tone intact with the strings. This is definately a begginers or campfire guitar for those out there looking for one. But, I'm going to change because of personal tastes to this guitar. But yes, it's a quality guitar, very good. Just be careful when choosing yours at costco - they're mass-produced in china, so there will be some out there with defects.
    lurajoonami
    that's weird. My action is very high on this guitar. And I still have it in working condition without having to repair it one bit. Although... my intonation is out slightly these days and I haven't tried recently to adjust the tress rod, but I should. It's about time I bought a new guitar seeing as I am no longer an amateur...jeez it's been almost a decade since I posted here and got the guitar. But to this day, if you slap on a pair of new strings, the sound is still amazing.
    mrbimmer
    Hurray Costco! they gave me all 180$ back, and i didnt even have all the stuff the guitar came with! w00t now all i have to do is decide whether or not to get a 300-400$ electric or acoustic guitar. i really like acoustcis, but i hear the electrics are better deals for the money, and i am in a band, i am disheartened, i need help
    coltbenning45
    I like a deeper sound then mine has. But saying that I have had it approx 8 yrs. It plays wonderful.,frets like a Martin D28... nearly... one tuner know seems to slip a Tad at times I give it a solid 7.5. But all i would give a 10 would be a Martin D28 or a Taylor or a few Gibson's
    mrbimmer
    I was the one who previously wrote the review of the FD02 yamaha. I boughti tat costco about a year ago, and its been pretty good. It almost never has been scratched. However i wished it had come with better strings, as the folk strings are a little hard to play. Dissapointingly my fist guitar is going back to costco tommorrow. The area where the neck angles and become the head, right near the serial # has formed a slit that goes an inch deep and is about as thin as a sheet of paper, within a couple of weeks the crack has spread and now is all across the head and spreading towards the fret board. Fortunatley though,with everything at costco, except 6 months for computers, you can break it 5 years later, brign it back, and they will give you your money back. So, wish me luck tommorrow! its been a good guitar, mind you it made my fingers practically bleed when i first started and makes hem hurt when i play it today, but none the less a good, reliable guitar.
    relayer1
    Dude, you need to learn how to care for wood on guitars. It probably dried out. Youtube using a sponge and plastic bag as a humidifier. The top needs it, too!
    jimdoucet17
    Why do people who have only owned 1 guitar post reviews? Don't waste our time.
    lowellhein
    Why do people who are angry at their life feel the need to post rude and useless comments?
    coltbenning45
    They have every right to post. . Usually at the low coat it is a beginer. . Of course a professional isnt going to play a FD02. dont be ao critical. Bigginers read these post also and it fits their budget man . Lighten up a bit. COLT BENNING