FG04 review by Yamaha

Yamaha: FG04

This guitar sounds great. It is very rich. It is somewhat bright and mellow at the same time, a very nice acoustic tone, not tinny at all. My main influences include Pink floyd, Metallica, The Doors, Steve Vai, and a whole host of other musicians that rock (I am not very picky, I like anything that rocks. too many to list). You can really hear the difference a solid top makes on a gutiar, and it is rare to find one in this price range.

I absolutely love this guitar. I have gotten all of the minor issues taken care of and now I look forward to year of listening to that solid top age. If it was stolen I would definatly buy another. Even though my price range was limited, with a guitar this nice so affordable, I see little reason to spend a whole lot more. I played my friend's father's 1500 dollar Washburn that sounded almost identical to this. Though I guess my 6 months of guitar experience hasn't quite fully trained me to tell the differnece. Anyway, I love this guitar and highly recomend it.

The small mishap with the finish made me somewhat nervous, but I guess that somewhere along the way somebody boxed it up too rughly after I checked it or slammed it on the table when I wasn't looking in the store. Then as it started to be played the finish stared to peel in that spot (right on the corner of the face, the lower right corner you are holding it as if you are playing). Other than that it apears very solid and reliable, but I treat all my guitars with care and don't really play much outside the bedroom so they don't see any abuse, and they are not very old yet. So that really isn't a good test.

I had a small mishap when I bought this guitar. I originally bought an FG04 (plain, not limited edition). The day after I bought it I noticed a chip in the finish. I brought it back to the store where the manager did an even exchange with a limited editon model because there were no more of the regular model in the store, so I got a nicer guitar for a good price. I was somewhat worried that they wouldn't cover it under waranty, buti the manager exchanged it no quesions asked. the guitar I am keeping is very well set up from the factory. The only complaint is one loose tuning peg. I just went back to get it tightened up and get the guitar setup (you get one free setup with 30 days of purchasing the guitar at guitar center).

Made in Taiwan. I am not exactly sure of the features, but these were copied from another FG04 reveiw, although mine is the FG04 Limited edition. I believe the features are the same as those listed here. It only has one strap button, so I will probably add another. I am not a fan of tieing the strap to the neck. - 20 frets - Dreadnought - Rosewood back and sides - Abalone sound hole inlay - Rosewood gloss headstock - Nato neck - Rosewood fingerboard - Cream body and fingerboard binding - Chrome tuners -Sitka Spruce (I am fairly sure that is the wood Yamaha uses for the fg series?) solid top.