FG140 review by Yamaha

• Reviewer's score: 4.6 Poor
Yamaha: FG140

It sounds like it has been very abused and battered, but perhaps it is only because of the monster it is. This guitar basically collects dust because I can't seem to tune it correctly, ever. It's tuned standard but an octave lower than a guitar. I strung it with various strings, mostly I relied on old E, A, and D strings to do this. Basically, this isn't the best acoustic bass.

Rock is not for acoustics. Exceptions being rock songs only for the acoustic guitar. I would totally not want this stolen or lost because I have the utter need to smash this thing. Takes up so much space! I hate everything about it, besides maybe the look of it, I guess. I suggest you buy this acoustic new, or very rarely used on a second-hand basis. Not worth the space.

This is totally getting smashed.

Well, I wouldn't know about the action from factory due to the time it spent sitting in a closet for oh-so-many years before I laid eyes upon it. The action now is a little high, but as expected due to the second bridge installment.

Well, another one of my hard to find facts on acoustic guitars, the Yamaha FG140 serves me as an acoustic bass. It's 20 frets on a rosewood fretboard. I believe the frets have been replaced due to a smaller size they take up than the slot they fit into. The frets are worn down to a wonderful XS (extra small) state. Build woods indlude mahogany back and sides with a maple top and what appears to be Cedar neck. Natural high gloss finish brings out the grain in these woods. The bridge has been modified, rather, added on to, with the personal touch of a second bridge just infront of the original. The tuners are nice and classic spindle-style with PVC turners.

marxtager
    Irrelevant review. This is NOT a bass guitar nor was it ever intended to be used as one. This guitar has been abused and misused,and unfairly rated well below what it deserves. Most owners rave about the sound of this ax: powerful, clear, and capable of giving the most expensive new Martins and Taylors a real run for the money. "I have the utter need to smash this thing. Takes up so much space! I hate everything about it" This review is so stupid it should be removed. In fact, the fact that this idiotic rant remains on line impugns the credibility of all the reviews on this forum