FG165S review by Yamaha

Purchased from: Bought Used

Well I play alot of different stuff but it can facilitate all my needs on an acoustic guitar aside from the lack of a cutaway and the second strap button behind the neck. But aside from that, the sound is a very rich and full sound that seems to develop and get better over time.I use a separate Martin pickup for it all the time to play around with, and it works like a dream. The sound is just as great with a pickup as it is by itself. I don't use too many effects so I'm not too sure about the pick up, but aside from the fact the strings sometimes too tightly wound causing discomfort when playing for a long time. It has great sound.

I play alot of different easy acoustic stuff and works beautifully. I have problems playing fast flamenco solos cos of the tightness of the strings, although I've tried using most gauges and had a set up twice. It's a solid top guitar, and i highly recommend it if anyone is looking for just one good guitar to last them a long time. I've played alot of different stuff with it, and I definetely think this is one comparable to even some martins I've played. However you may want to think twice if you're a bluesy/flamenco/shredder/solo lover. I would definetly get another one with a pickup if i could, but this guitar was probably more than the $50 I paid for it. Handles alternate tunings beautifully and hasn't failed me yet/once.

I got this guitar second hand and even though I've been through alot with it (dropping it from a meter off the ground, smacking the head into walls, crowded subways, etc) It still remains in great shape. The pick guard on it still takes heavy damage yet looks fine, has been to practically all my gigs, and compared to my other guitars, it's stronger than me probably.

Well the fit of the guitar is definetely not for a small person, it's relatively larger and heavier most of my other guitars (I have 6), but still comfortable to play with. The action is just fine on the guitar, no buzzing, or any shifting. The finish is very pleasing as the sunburst finish is something I"ve always loved. The tuners made need replacing in about a year or two, cos it's already starting to rust. But aside from that, there's no problem.

Well let's see my beautiful Yamaha FG165S is about 5 years old, made in Japan. Has 20 frets, with a rosewood fingerboard and bridge, Nato neck/back sides and a solid sitka spruce top. The tuners are die cast chrome, however it's beginning to rust. It's basically a dreadnought guitar with a sandburst finish and solid top. Great deal from friend.