FG331 review by Yamaha

Yamaha: FG331

Purchased from: (gift from aunt)

You can play anything on this guitar. I don't have an electric yet so I do play anything on this. From metal (which, of course, sounds weird) to blues to country to hard rock. And the sound is beautiful. I don't know anyone else with a guitar that sounds this nice, honestly.

I love my guitar, and everyone else loves my guitar. Yamaha are great because you're not paying tons of money for a well-known brand but a crappy guitar, you really get exactly what you paid for. If this thing were stolen or lost, then I probably wouldn't get another because, unfortunately, you can't find it anywhere! I lvoe everything about it. Though I'm new, I've tried many, many guitars, and I still prefer my own. (except for a Yamaha RGX121S that I tried once) My advice to anyone looking ofr an acoustic: try and find an FG331, it's worth any price offered. It looks beautiful and you'll probably be playing it forever.

This guitar has been dropped, it has hit walls, been thrown once. And only goes out of tune after about a week and a half of playing 3 hours a day. Now that's a solid guitar. Even though this thing is older than I am, it looks completely brand new. Good job, Yamaha.

I can't say much about how it came from the factory, but the way I got it, it was very nice. My aunt says nothing has been changed on it, too, so. I don't really expect anything to fall off of it though, 'cause, you know. It's basically just a few big pieces slapped together, unlike an electric.

20 frets (though don't expect to get farther than fret 15 without messing up your hand). I don't know the material. I'm pretty new to guitar playing, though I'm learning very quickly, so I couldn't say much about the features, but. Everyone who's seen this guitar have said that it's their fave out of all acoustics they've seen. Very nice.

ale8onefan
    I bought an FG331 at a pawn shop two years ago, hoping to fix it up and make a few dollars. No one seemed to want it, even though I listed it as "best offer". The longer it stays here, and the more I play it, I kinda want to keep it anyway. This thing has a fantastic sound for a 000 size guitar. Yamaha really did something right with their laminates. I own three, and love them all.
    N3ur0
    Agreed. Mine was made in Taiwan sometime in the early 80's. Very durable - and cheap on eBay.
    V_mike
    This was my first guitar. Given to me by my late grandfather, made in the 70's or 80's. Very dear to me. Problem: neck bent like a bow. Solution: tune to open G or D and grab the slide! My best slide guitar!
    Dreal
    I Just picked on of these babys up last weekend, and cannot beleive the sound this thing puts off. What an awesome guitar. I am so impressed with this guitar.
    disturbed_n_wv
    I've got an FG331 that i've had for about the last five years. It's a good playing and sweet sounding guitar. Just last week I put a new set of Dean Markley Mediums on it, they sound really good but they are a bit heavy for my liking but hey they were free so I can't complain. The main reason I like it is because it's not a Dreadnought size guitar but it still has a good sound and ring to it.
    darkspyre
    I got my FG-331 6 months ago, as a first guitar its great, sounds good for a laminated plywood top, but if you really get into playing seriously like myself, you'll want to upgrade after a while. I just purchased a Yamah CPX 700, a great second guitar. The beauty of keeping the FG331 is having that party guitar that doesnt need to sit in humidity controlled case and your not going to worry about it getting banged up
    Trisomy21
    Just picked one up the other day, rather pleased with the sound. Its a completely different tone than my Norman. Thinking about fitting it with a homemade bone saddle and nut.
    Xx Rage15
    Dang this guitar is very amazing it's my first guitar you can play anything on it believe me you will not regret it by the way smoke on the water sounds awsome on it peace
    m1j3
    My dad got one of these as his first guitar back in '78, He never bothered to stick with playing so it sat in my grandmothers house for the last 30 years. I asked if I could have it and of course they said yes. This thing sounds amazing
    joseph.kent.186
    I picked up my FG331 for only $10 and i never play one in my life ....I am 49 years old and have tuned into musick all my life .....And i have been playing with it for 2 mounths and can play every tune that pink can play .....I think it is going to be a part of me for a long time .....Mine is a 1979 model.....It has the black and bach ribin in the back .....And the red and black face plate on it .....It is very nice.....If there is any one out ther that can tell just what to clean and shine it up .....To keep the butty of it as it is .....