FG700S review by Yamaha

Yamaha: FG700S

Very nice sound. Very, very nice. I've played a few guitars ranging from $600 to $2000, and I might sound like I'm exaggerating, but I really think this guitar stands up with them. I play many styles, and it is a one size fits all guitar. Blues, rock, even classical, it all works. You want a nice, round sound? This. Is. It. I got this as a starter guitar, but after ages of playing, I still haven't had a thought to upgrade. It's that good. (And, uh, just in case you were wondering, I'm not deaf. This thing has good tone.)

I love this guitar. I love it like a family member. I love it even more than my own mother. (Just kidding. I love ya, Mom.) There's nothing more to it. It's beautiful. It makes a great starting guitar, and if you want a starter guitar that you won't have to upgrade anytime soon, then grab this. This is a happy man's guitar. Great sound, durable body, and I forgot to mention, BEAUTIFUL tortoise-shell pickguard. (The pickguard matches the design on my pick, so that's kinda part of why it's great.) Compared to an $800 guitar, this is one tough competitor. Really tough. If it was lost, I would cry a bit, then make use of the warranty. If it were stolen, someone would die. And then I would make use of the warranty, too, I guess. That is the uberness of this guitar. Yes, uberness is a word. (Not really, please don't use that word in any language arts class.)

Now, let's get something straight. I'm a klutz. I fall UP stairs. That said, this guitar has gone through hell and lived to tell the tale. I've bashed it pretty hard into walls (yes, wallS), dropped it on concrete, and yet it survives, with no more than maybe five small white scratches (bout a centimeter long each, a nanometer deep) and once tiny dent. The strap button still alive as well. Point is, this is one tough cookie. It'll probably last through everything short of the apocalypse.

Action is pretty good. I got this as a starter guitar, but it still works incredibly. Hammer-ons are starting to make weird twangy noises, but I think that's just an issue with my strings. The body of the guitar was great when I got it, and it's still lookin' good. Very nice clear finish, shines even through mud.

Made in China. (Whoa, really?) 20 full frets, one more "half" fret if you count that last bit of wood. Very nice solid top, really SOLID. More on that later. Body woods are great looking mahogany, I think, but the front is tad bit pale. Just my opinion, and a darker shade is also available. The neck is also a work of art. Rosewood, looks very natural. Tuners are non-locking, but they hold tune for days, even weeks. I play for at least three to four hours a day, and honestly, I only need to tune every week. Didn't get any accessories or anything, but I really don't care. This is a heck of a guitar. Cheap and incredible.

rick0415
    I bought this guitar used 6 months ago for $200. It was and is in mint condition. I love this guitar. I just started taking guitar lessons in January and am finding it so easy to play, and full rich sound. About a month ago I took it in to the guitar tech and had the action lowered a bit and it's even easier to play now.
    Apples on Cacti
    Just adding to my own review, I actually do have a small complaint. It may just be my particular instrument, but the action is a bit high. About 6-7/32 in. on the high E string over the 12th fret. Didn't notice when I was a newbie, cause I didn't focus on the high register, but when it gets to trying solos, it is a bit of a pain, and when you hammer-on the impact is enough to make distinct sounds from both sides of the string (an ugly sound, in case you're wondering). If you buy this guitar, just be aware that a set up may be in order.
    Ari090496
    Im a newbeginner, and i started playing on christsmas (my littlesister got a baby guitar for christmas) and i got this "kick" of playing guitar.About 2 months after my dad bought me the Yamaha FG700s, and i just want to say BUY IT!!! it is amazing!! definetly worth the money.
    ghobby
    I've had this guitar for 4 years, its been great. Stays in tune, and takes a beating.