FG700S review by Yamaha

Yamaha: FG700S

I play everything from Jazz to Metal, and it fits my style perfectly. I love a bright sound on acoustic guitars, and this one has it nailed. It has nice bright trebles, but the bass is there, so it sounds full. The only thing I may change is the saddle and the bridge pins, to brighten the guitar and add sustain. I couldn't ask for more when it comes to the sound of this guitar.

I know this is just another review full of 10s, but this guitar really does deserve it. It fits my styles perfectly. I've been playing for 2 years. I also own a Yamaha F335 (which I don't really like), and a Takamine Jasmine S35 (worse than the F335, but it was my first guitar.) If it were lost or stolen, I would definitely get another one. I love the guitar to death, so I'm not letting it get lost or stolen. I can't find anything I hate about the guitar either. My favorite feature is the sound. It's exactly what I'm asking for. I compared this to a lot of other guitars at guitar center, and chose this one over guitars 3 times the price. The only thing I wish it had was a bone saddle and nut.

I've not had the chance to play live yet, but I'm certain this guitar would withstand live playing. The hardware seems it will last too. The strap button seems okay, but I don't use straps anyway, so that doesn't matter to me. It looks dependable, but I'd still take a backup just in case. You can never be too safe after all. The finish seems it will last with time too, which is nice.

The guitar was set up very nicely. I can't find any flaws in it at all. The factory strings were okay, but I changed them to my choice, Elixir. This is a perfect example of how much Yamaha actually cares about their quality.

I bought this guitar brand new. It was made in China I believe. It has 20 frets, on a nice thin Nato neck, with a 25 and 9/16 inch scale length. The top is Solid Sitka Spruce (thank god), with Nato back and sides. It's a natural finish, which I like, and the tuners aren't special, but they stay in tune well, so they work.

seanphillipcole
    I bought this guitar off a friend who never learned to play it for $150. It was also my first guitar, and it has been so great to me. It's my go-to now, regardless of what style I'm playing. I rarely have to tune this thing, even when I beat the heck out of it. It has withstood a few major bangs and drops, and though the finish is scratched, it still has no buzz. It projects very well - I mean, it gets LOUD - It even produces wonderful harmonics. I love the action on it and it sounds amazing with a set of Curt Mangan Phosphor Bronze strings!
    ZSpreitzer
    I just bought the FG700S, and I am loving it! It resonates very well for a $200 guitar. How did I find a solid top for 200? Well, the boys down at Yamaha have the work ethic to create top notch guitars for less. Thank you China!
    fredg61
    Just bought the FG700S from Guitar Center for $169 with coupon. So far no complaints. Strings are basic and needs to be changed. Action slightly high, but not unplayable. Definitely worth the $169!
    campacj
    I've played guitar since the early 70s and I've owned many guitars, including Martins, Taylors, other Yamahas, and some of the best electrics. I have never before seen this much build quality, sound, and playability at this price point. Ever! There are many guitars that cost three and four times as much and aren't as good. I STRONGLY suggest that you buy USED whenever possible (I got my FG700S, almost brand-new, for $99) and get ANY guitar that you buy professionally set-up by a luthier that knows his/her stuff. Otherwise, you'll NEVER get all you can from it.
    MajorMajor
    I read someone at http://musicalpros.com recommended this guitar. I tried it at a local music store and loved it, but I'm still trying to determine if it's the best value guitar for a beginner.
    monty thiessen
    This guitar is very attractive, having not only a quality spruce top, but having, in addition, rosewood back and sides, and featuring a few aesthetic upgrades from the fg700s. Like the 700, it is clear and balanced, but the addition of rosewood back and sides changes the tonal features considerably, making this guitar uniquely its own. here is a great site for you that has informative reviews for you . http://www.guitarmesh.com/best-acoustic-...
    relayer1
    This is my favorite acoustic guitar I think, although the new FG-800 is a really close tie. The 800 is the new version of this guitar, and I am amazed that no one has put a review up of it yet. It has more bass than the 700s, but the 700s has crisper highs. One sounds more like a Martin, one sounds more like a Taylor. I think they both are a little better than the Fender DG-8s, which retails for the same, and also has a solid spruce top.
    Paulbookwood
    I've owned my Yamaha FG700S for a few years now, and I can safely say it's one of the best purchases I've ever made. It's my main acoustic guitar. I own three acoustic guitars and they're all nice (the other two are Epiphones), but the one I use the most is my Yamaha FG700S. I am impressed with how solidly built it is, how nice it sounds (the spruce top makes a difference), and I find it very playable. The guitar hardly ever gets put in a case. I use it so much I just leave on it a guitar stand so I can just grab it and play. For a good sounding basic acoustic guitar the Yamaha FG700S is an excellent choice.