FG720S-12 review by Yamaha

Yamaha: FG720S-12

Purchased from: PMT

I probably spend about half of my guitar time playing Acoustic stuff and this handles the Acoustic sides of The Who, Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd really well. The 12-string sound is perfect to fill out a room, and give that extra depth to songs. As with any 12-string, you can be limited to playing sparser guitar parts and chords, but this guitar does that role admirably. If you have never played other than 6 strings before, pick this guitar up and prepare to be amazed at the richness of sound you can get from it.

I got this guitar for my 16th birthday and up until then had been playing electric, and some classical for a couple of years. I knew that I wanted this guitar as soon as I saw it because I knew it would give me a unique sound, which it certainly did! If it were lost or stolen I would definitly track another one down, or something similar to it because it has become a huge part of my playing. I love the fact that I can always go over and strum it and be constantly impressed with how good it sounds even when playing regular stuff. In the shop there were some cheaper 12 strings, and some more expensive 12 strings, but I could not find one that looked, sounded or felt as good as this one. If you are looking for a 12 string guitar on a reasonable budget, then I would definately recommend this guitar be one you look at first.

I have taken this guitar with me to many peoples houses, to school, and to parties, and it has become worn in with a few scrapes. Luckily I like that sort of thing as it adds character to it. The tuners are always solid and reliable and the finish is not easily blemished and having played it almost every day for nearly 18 months it still sounds and looks as good as it always has. However it can go out of tune with very heavy playing. It is in a word, dependable.

As far as I can tell, there were, and continue to be, no flaws with this guitar in terms of finish or set up. I bought it directly from the shop after a few minutes of playing it, and as such it was already set up and ready to take home. I spent the whole afternoon playing it!

My guitar was made in 2008, in China. It has 20 medium sized frets on a rosewood fretboard. It has a lovely solid spruce top, which the tortoiseshell scratchplate complements very well. The body is medium sized but puts out a good amount of bass for its size. It still has the stock tuners, nut, and bridge. These are still functioning brilliantly. Overall it is a pure Acoustic with no controls at all. I managed to get a free gig bag and plectrums as well.

MyDogDoesTricks
    I bought my FG 720S-12 and paid $309. It was comparable in price to a Mitchell and an Ibanez. I have an Ibanez semi-hollow body electric, but wanted a solid top acoustic, so went with the Yamaha. It stays in tune quite well. Good amount of bass. No blemishes were present at purchase. My wife has a 1989 Yamaha FG 410 six string that has aged very well. I'm pretty sure my 12 string will also.