FG720S review by Yamaha

Yamaha: FG720S

Sounds muffled and soft when I first bought it. However, after changing the default plastic saddle to a Tusq saddle, the difference is like night and day. With the Tusq saddle, the sound is loud, full and balanced. Strong bass without being overpowering, muddy or over boomy. Bright treble, more brightness than bass overall. Good resonance. Good for flat picking, strumming and fingerstyle. Only minus point in terms of sound is that the treble strings sound too bright without sweetness, so its not ideal for soloing. But bass strings sound huge and warm. A great guitar for carrying the rhythm definitely, which is what Acoustic guitars are for mainly anyway. The sound quality surpasses the price of this guitar, thus making this a great value for money buy. The price marks this as a beginner guitar but the quality of this guitar is definitely above beginner level. Its more of an intermediate level guitar with a price point suitable for beginners who want to get something better which they can stick to for a long time. Advanced players will appreciate this guitar too, as its cheap and good.

I play Acoustic rock songs, pop songs, basically any fun strumming sing along songs, and fingerstyle. This guitar is a good versatile match for the songs I play. I'm currently considering buying the FG730S but hesistating because my FG720S is damn good, and if I buy a FG730S, 1 of them will get neglected. If I neglect the FG730S then its a waste of money buying it. If I neglect my FG720S, its a waste of a good guitar. It's just a matter of GAS and curbing it I guess (no pun intended). When I was shopping for it, I nearly chose the FG730S though, but went with the FG720S because it's 50 bucks cheaper and was better constructed than the FG730S guitars available at the shop. Comparing it to other Acoustic guitars in its price range, there's no contest really, Yamaha wins it hands down. Overall a good buy, I'm glad I chose this piece.

This guitar is definitely reliable and durable. Yamaha makes solid reliable and durable products. It's a keeper, something to grow up and grow old with. If you are buying a gift for someone into guitars, consider this guitar.

The guitar was purchased brand new from the shop with medium action. I changed the default plastic saddle to a Tusq saddle, still with medium action, relatively comfortable to play, with loudness that comes from a decent string height and saddle break angle. So its a good balance. Top is properly bookmatched. This guitar is practically flawless, I picked this out from a bunch and this has the best construction among them. Construction is neat and good. No excess glue marks when you look inside the soundhole, which is a mark of quality (no pun intended).

China made Yamaha FG720S. Yamaha's special FG size/shape, similar to dreadnought though not exactly like a dreadnought. This has a narrower waist compared to standard dreadnoughts which is a design consideration for sound, I believe, as body shapes affect the sound alot. Solid Spruce top, laminate nato back/sides, bound rosewood fretboard, nato neck, rosewood bridge, plastic nut and saddles. Gloss finish. No electronics. Unbranded chrome tuners that do the job well. Gave it a 10 for features because its how I like my acoustics - pure, without electronics or cutaway to reduce the wood and tone.