FG720S review by Yamaha

Yamaha: FG720S

Purchased from: Tehran, Iran

Honestly it's my first acoustic. But I love the sound. Compared lots models of many brands. Very loud sound because of the full sized body. Somebody told me it's default string set isn't good and real sound appears when I change to a good set. It doesn't have any electronics and I like it because I want to pay just for things I use.

I bought it for playing many styles. Rock, Blues, Pop, Bluegrass, ... It's a very well made guitar with wonderful price tag. You can not find better than FG series in this price range. If it were stolen, after hitting the... Who did this I go to music store and buy another one maybe a higher model in FG line. I love it because it simple but effective. Good sound, perfect quality and a nice price. What more do you expect from it?

I own this guitar only for a month. It seemed to last at least for five years but when I searched the net for reviews from Yamaha owners, found players that use models very similar to FG series for about 30 years! Finish is thin and glossy so it seems to scratch easily. I bought a good hardcase for it and behave it so kindly so I'm sure it lasts for many years. I don't use a strap so I have no opinions about strap buttons strength.

Action was perfect just out of the box. Building and quality control is exellent (God damn Ibanez! I bought an electric with many defects. It's my nightmare). I checked for intonation and it was ok! Solid tuners, flawless neck, nice finish without any scratches and a good packaging. In comparision to my low budget classic guitar, it has much thinner finish.

Paid 320 USD, Made in china but I don't know when. Dreadnought, 20 normal frets, Rosewood fingerboard, Solid top (Yeah!), Eastern mahogany for back/sides/neck, Natural wood color, Glossy Finish, Diecast tuners and a set of Yamaha factory strings. Came in a box with anything but an Allen wrench for adjusting truss rod and a user manual.

Dreamcatcher92
    I've got Yamaha FG720S (the black one) last week n I'm in love with it...n I'm really surprised coz the price was unbelievable (only 279 bucks!!)...it has a SOLID TOP! the default strings r rly great n u don't have to changer them ...anyway, if u're thinking about getting a new acoustic guitar without breaking the bank and u dont want a just a beginner guitar....this one is for everyone....it's not a Martin, but it's close enough
    ndirish
    Where did u find tusq nut and saddle for the fg720s, just got mine yesterday , love it. But would love to ditch the plastic nut, and I assume the saddle is plastic too? I've owned 3 grand martin that took 6 months to get, just to arrive with cracked bridge, had the hd28mp one week before shipping back, after waiting 4 months beyond that, I opted to trade it back to dealer for cash and a 00-15m, still waiting for that. Owed 3 Taylor's , better quality, but decided I'm a 1 11/16 nut guy, being a lefty, this took time to discover. But this yamaha is fantastic, love love it. Eventually change out the nut and saddle, slip some D'a strings on it
    revoraman
    Just picked one 2nd-hand today in superb condition after reading this Review. Just needs a set of new strings. Could do with a strings recommendation from current users, please
    BillHicks1
    I cannot put into words how good this guitar is. In the past, the guitar bores & collectors had convinced me that if I was to buy a Yamaha over a Martin or Taylor, I then had to search the world for a 1970s Japanese Red Label in a non-battered condition (easier said than done)& with a high price tag. The Red label is good & well made for sure but this blows any Red, Green & Black Label out of the water. This growls & has sustain as long as a FG-180. I picked up a natural body one for 120.00 in mint condition after it had been played a few times by a once enthusastic learner. Originally it would've cost 280.00 -300.00 still a bargain in my eyes. Yes, it's made in China at a Yamaha factory but who cares...this will become sought after acoustic just like the Red Label ones in the years to come, that I no-doubt.
    revoraman
    I have found a dealer selling these Tusq saddles but they are not so helpful in supplying the correct saddle for my Yamaha FG720s. They are suggesting I measure the existing factor-fitted saddle, then order one from them and then do some sanding. Eh?? So, does anyone who has fitted a Tusq saddle to their Yamaha FG720S know exactly what model saddle I would need to carry out this modification?