FG730S review by Yamaha

Yamaha: FG730S

Price paid: € 330

Purchased from: thomman

I'm a self taught player mainly learning from videos, internet was my ally in to this and I can't say I play alot of different things. Some open chords, some fingerpicking some movable chords, some soloing but nothing special that would require the use of the guitar to its limits. I'm playing rock ballads which means alot of open chords and its working just fine. FG-730 has a bright mellow but balanced sound. It's got nice volume I often get compliments about how loud it sounds. It can play open chords, movable chords and that's the thing I like the most about it! I get really nice sounds from movable chords. You can solo a little bit up to 17 fret where things get tough after that.

Works perfectly for the things I play I play 2 years + and I had a cheap Fender which had alot of issues and I had to change equip. This guitar is the real deal its not best guitar but in that price range please do inform me if there is a better guitar. Sound is subjective, I think it sounds great others might say it sounds to bright or something. If I were to buy another acoustic I would buy the FG-750 cause it looks a bit better but you never know. Love the sound, playability, size, feel, its looks and hell it even smells good! Also like the fact that the tuners work like they are brand new. Now what do I dislike hmm nothing! Before buying this I've spent months looking for a good guitar. I've compared this to other FG series Cpx, Apx but any guit that was better than the 730 was almost 100 euros up and the badget was low so you get the point. Made a research on other brands like Fender and I was really disappointed, Takamines were ok but didn't like the sound (they sound kinda dull to me and they look kinda old) Hm what else was there about brands Ibanez, Epiphones, Corts was a good option 2nd in mind, Washburn was a good option too. So over all it looked better than the most, cost was in the same price with most, had good specs, good reputation, owners were pretty happy with it as I am. For that price was a steal really.

I'm pretty sure this guitar will withstand pretty mush everything. Live playing, everyday playing, gigs you just name it. Bought mine 2 years ago look exactly the same and I play it everyday for hours. Doesn't live my house more than once a month though. Very reliable I bumped it countless times in my metal partly chair and doesn't have a single mark. All it has is some minor scratches made by jacket zippers in the back. I've used it for the past 2 years and I can surely say its will last another 10 years don't know about refretting though.

Factory action was decent but had it for set up a month after I bought it for maximum results. Now its has pretty low and good action. The top doesn't gave a perfect bookmatch but its actually quite good. You can see from the pattern of the spruce that's a good selection. Bridge placed nice no marks no glues or anything else. Unlike most guitars I've played before buying this no finish marks, glue traces. Everything was in perfect order the moment I took it out of its box and still is. I remember the string distances were slightly off in 1 or 2 strings so before I tune it I hold the string to the saddle spot I wanted and that's it. Has high quality finish which makes it hard to scratch and in conclusion you can't spot anything in the exterior which gives you the impression that you hold a guitar that could easily cost 700 euro.

Made in China. 20 frets, rosewood fingerboard, nato neck. Solid sitka spruce. Rosewood back and sides. Now it's available on Vintage cherry sunburst which looks nice, mine is natural finish because I do believe I get better resonance out of it. When I made the order it was available in Tobacco BS and natural but I expect they will make a color variety to make it even more interesting. Dreadnought, rosewood bridge, Yamaha standard tuners which is reliable if you ask me. Black and white stripe binding. Brown colored pickguard. 11 gauge strings Yamaha factory type not bad but 10s are better imo. No accessories came with it.

mymartind35
    I just got mine for $50.00 and it's being shipped. It's used but I like that it's been broken-in. I've had several great guitars. Still do. This will be the 4th Yamaha I own. Great guitar for the msrp.