FG730S review by Yamaha

Yamaha: FG730S

Purchased from: Amazon.com

The guitar was made in china, that might be a red flag to some but rest assured, it was well made in china, a good quality guitar. It has 20 frets and a thin neck, made of Nato wood. Features a solid sitka spruce top and rosewood back and sides and also rosewood fingerboard and bridge. The tuners are generic but they work all right, you have to fumble a bit to get the guitar tuned right but they hold tune for a long time. Not much more features to talk about, very streamlined, no nonsense guitar.

Being a beginner it suits my music style pretty well, that being because I have no music style I am a beginner!. Comparing with other guitars, this one sound really bright and not too booming like other guitar. Some tunes might sound a bit different on this guitar than they do originally, "Wonderwall" for example sound very bright, it is a nice sound it projects, I really like it. It can play very quiet or very loud and will sound nice. Overall it is a pleasing sound, of course being a beginner I really can't say which music style best suits this guitar, country and rock definitely.

The action was great from out of the box, I have yet to modify anything on this guitar and I'm going for 3 months since I purchased it. The action does get a bit higher after the 7th fret but not that bad. Nothing out of place really, the Yamaha strings are good, I might replace them soon but 3 months and they are going strong. No dings and dents on the guitar (surprising since it was shipped from Arizona to Puerto Rico by way of UPS). A very nicely set up guitar, only thing that needed was tuning, after that it was ready to play, 3 months later without changing anything it still plays great.

The guitar will surely withstand live playing, I have not tested it live but it looks really sturdy. I believe this guitar with proper care will last me a lifetime. I got the natural color and it looks great, it comes with a glossy finish, really sexy looking and really tough, my guitar has banged against walls a few times and not a scratch. Of course I cannot surely say if I would gig without a backup. It has only one strap button and I have not used it, but it looks all right. One thing to note is that it has no cutaway so you can really only play up to the 14th fret. Overall a really sturdy instrument.

If you are a beginner like me, you should definitely check out this guitar, it is a good quality instrument at an affordable price, of course many reviews point out that long time players should also check it out because of the price. For learning it works very good, you know chords and strumming and all that. If it were stolen I would cry and save up for another one (I'm a broke college student) I don't hate anything in this guitar, if anything it has motivated me more and more to keep learning new things, and it has not failed me yet. If you are like me, looking for a quality beginners guitar, I chose this one, and I would recommend any beginner this guitar, and if your hurting for cash you can check out the cheaper Yamaha FG700S and FG720S, no doubt they are as good as this one.

jfsjr67
    I bought mine used. Found it at GC on a Friday morning with no one there to bother me so got to play it for about a half hour. Actually traded a Fender solid state amp for it. Love the guitar. Stays in tune, looks great, great sound. A real value in this price range.