FGX720SCA Review

12,661
reviews (2) pictures (3) 5 comments vote for this gear:
FGX720SCA Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 25, 2011

Purchased from: Pawn Store

Features: Great to have a solid-top for the price range. Pretty standard dreadnought dimensions. Not really thinner, thicker, longer, or shorter anywhere. The only special feature on the body is a cutaway. The electronics aren't terribly impressive, but I've not fiddled with them much, since I usually play either for myself or in the company of a few friends in an intimate setting. They're proprietary Yamaha controls. You can control the volume, the low/mid/high mix, and something labelled AMP - again, forgive me, I never plug it in, so I've not learned what all of these terms mean. Perhaps the most useful thing in the electronics for any player is the built-in tuner, which is exceptionally convenient. Nothing innovative to praise, but nothing to criticize, either. // 9

Sound: I play a lot of classic rock/folk, and it sounds great. Just a wonderful, balanced acoustic sound. It's not overly brassy and harsh, nor is it overly boomy and bass-heavy. I've had a few problems with strings buzzing that appear and disappear when I change the strings, but I figure that it's a consequence of the low action. I've had many people comment on the beautiful sound of this guitar, and they're surprised that it didn't come from Gibson or Martin. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I received it (it's second-hand, remember), it was set up very well. Good low action. A dent in the body, but that was probably the fault of the previous owner. Overall solid, good construction. Frets are smooth, action is low, bridge pins wedge in right, tuning keys don't detune themselves. Nothing wrong that I could see. The finish on mine (brown sunburst) is absolutely beautiful and helps it stand out in a sea of natural and black guitars, which are the other two finishes offered for this model. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It does dent easily, but I'm pretty hard on it as well. I've left it leaning against a bed or desk and let it fall before, but it's never broken - though there are a few pretty nasty scratches in there. Nothing has affected its playability, however. After about a year and a half of owning it, plus however long the previous owner had it, the finish has lasted well. I trust in this guitar. It's never given me any surprises, and I don't expect that it will. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar will suit any style of acoustic playing. I've been playing for almost two years, so my opinion might not sound like much, but I've had people who have been playing guitar longer than I've been alive, who have played top-of-the-line Gibsons and Martins, tell me how impressed they were with this little made-in-China number. If something ever happened to my Imogene, I'd definitely come back to Yamaha for another guitar - I've been thoroughly impressed with the quality you get for how relatively little you pay for it. I've recommended this like mad to friends and acquaintances interested in picking up guitar or looking for another to add to their collection, and admonished music store owners for not carrying Yamaha products. This was the third or fourth guitar I tried in a guitar-searching expedition my father and I had, and even after 4 hours of searching and dozens of guitars tried out, I came back to this one. I have not regretted my decision a minute. // 10

FGX720SCA Reviewed by: Slayer3000, on august 03, 2015

Controls: Lows, Mids, Highs, AMF, Volume
Finish: Durable Hi-Gloss
Pick-Ups: 55T 1-way
Peg: Diecast Chrome

I bought the guitar with no accessories included, and, as far as I know, there are no sets for this make and model. The neck is adjustable to suite your preferred action, however I have found no need to adjust any of this from what the factory has made. // 9

Sound: I play most every type of music, so my styles are those of: bluegrass, blues, country, rock, classical, romantic, contemporary, alternative, and other indie-styles. The depth of the body is not too deep or too shallow; she fits perfectly and does not cause uncomfortable play. She can sound clear and romantic if played as such, or she can have a twangy rawness if played so. I mostly play without her being plugged in, but I usually keep the lows turned up, and Highs just under midway. However, the possibilities of her sound are endless. If you plug her into an amp, you can get some distortion, however I would generally leave this for the electric guitars. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I have yet to adjust either the action, or change any internals of the electronics. She is a plug and play. The factory did an excellent job of setting her up soundly. As for the bridge, I have not needed to adjust any part of that. Set up splendidly. If it were not for the vanilla edges, I would think the guitar was carved and made entirely out of one piece of wood; absolutely no flaws in the bookmatching. Something that is very important to me is the fret alignment, and every single fret on this guitar is aligned perfectly, creating excellent pitch for every chord variation. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The Yamaha FGX SCA is durable, and will stand triumphant to all vigorous play. The knobs on the electronics are fixed tightly in place, and do not feel loose in any way. The tuning pins are solid metal, and are not difficult to turn, but do not stick at any position. There is only one strap button, which is the same place where the lead goes in, and there is not braking that button without a good hammer. So long as you buy a good set of strings, there is no need for back-ups on a stage. There is a durable, non-scratch plectrum guard, which A - looks nice, and B - does the job well. // 9

Overall Impression: As I have said, I play many styles of music. I have had the opportunity to play countless instruments, and, out of the dozen or so electric-acoustics I have played, the Yamaha FGX720SCA is the best. I had been searching for a worthy enough electric acoustic for myself for well over a year, and once I picked this one up and played her, I knew she was the one. I wish I had asked the music store where I bought my acoustic to put on a second strap button, because, for now, I have to tie my strap to the top of the neck, which is uncomfortable for me. The best thing about this guitar, and something I am extremely picky about, is the fact that every fret for every string is at the perfect pitch. No tuning slightly off just so that you can play sleep gently higher, as it is with many other guitars. For such a sturdy guitar, she is quite light, especially for a guy used to a solid body electric like me. So, I would give her a 100% rating for quality, but as I said, there is only one strap button. Also, do not be bogged down by the price, I bought it in South Africa, so shipping and heavy tax was included; do your own research as for the prices near you. // 9

Comments