FGX730SCA Review

manufacturer: Yamaha date: 09/07/2009 category: Acoustic Guitars
Yamaha: FGX730SCA
This is a solid top Cutaway Dreadnought acoustic from Yamaha. I have owned mine for a month now. It has a Sitka Spruce top and Rosewood back and sides. It was made in China.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.5
 Features: 9.5
 9.4
 9.8
 8.9
 5,423
reviews (2) 7 comments vote for this gear:
FGX730SCA Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 25, 2008

Features: This is a solid top Cutaway Dreadnought acoustic from Yamaha. I have owned mine for a month now. It has a Sitka Spruce top and Rosewood back and sides. It was made in China (Yamaha has there own plant in China where there instruments are made, so they are not outsourced to smaller private companies to complete). It has a high-gloss natural finish. This guitar also is equipped with Yamaha's own System 55T active electronics, which offers volume control, three band EQ with mid-range sweep and built in tuner (a very nice feature). // 10

Sound: This is a phenomenal sounding guitar for it's price. When I was looking for an upgrade from my old Yamaha acoustic (a very trustworthy F315) I looked at countless guitars that exceeded $800 in price, with some going up to $2000. None of them struck me as "The One" until I played the FGX730SCA. I couldn't believe that my new favorite guitar was another Yamaha. This guitar sounds rich, full and clear unplugged as well as plugged in. The EQ on the pickup is excellent and the built in tuner makes sure that you guitar sounds the best it can. This guitar truly gives guitars 3 or 4 times it's price a run for there money in sound. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up very well from the factory for me. One of my friends feels that the action is slightly high up the fretboard, but it is great for me, and could always be adjusted via the truss rod. I have not found any flaws on this guitar so far, the finish looks flawless and everything seems to be in very good working order. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have only had this acoustic for a month, but it has given me no reason to doubt it's reliability and durability. I have played with it Live, and it worked perfectly. The hardware seems very solid as well as the strap buttons. This guitar only comes with one strap button (on the bottom side) as I believe all Yamaha acoustics might. This means that the other end of a strap gets connected around the neck. Personally, I prefer this method of attaching the strap. I feel it offers greater stability, supports the weight of the neck and takes away any strain there might be of holding up the neck of the guitar with ones left hand. All around, this guitar seems very durable and reliable, and if it's anything like my Yamaha F315 (5 years of use and abuse starting as a beginner, and the thing is still going strong)than it should be around for a very long time. // 10

Overall Impression: I have absolutely no regrets about buying this acoustic. If something ever happened to it, I would by another one as soon as possible. It is s very good looking, very good sounding, very affordable acoustic-electric guitar that is WELL worth the money. It is my new standard acoustic, and I doubt that will change. // 10

FGX730SCA Reviewed by: divrack@aol.com, on september 07, 2009

Purchased from: Pawn Shop

Features: Bough this used off ebay with HSC for 266.00 Guitar is in Mint condition with one tiny ding and one surface scratch don't know age I'm guessing 10-12 years old. Removed old crappy strings Conditioned fret board and threw on some new exillor poly lights. The glossy finish g on this guitar is gorgeous with faded vanilla binding and rossetes It looks and plays like a 1200 guitar I love the fast but not thin neck and great frets For bending and sustain The on board electronics are very responsive I was shocked at how well they were. I own two Taylor's a 14 ce and 814 ce this blows the 14 away It reminds me of a Martin D18 I had years ago. I play thru a Hartke 75 AC and it sings thru it. // 9

Sound: Can be a liitle on the bright side plugged in But easy to dial it back in Very full sound and great sustain I play blues lead Lots of stones ect Fast action... Very fast I play an 83 Fender Smith strat as my main guitar when going electric or a Studio LP This neck doesn't slow me down one bit and is great all the way up the neck The intonation is spot on // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Nothing needed to be done zippo new set of light 12Ga exllior polly's and I was set Like I said dead on all the way up the neck ( better then most if not all my guitars with the ecepetion of the 814 Ce Which isnt fair its a 3000 guitar). // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is going to be my number one workhorse The 14 is going back in the closet Its not close I love this guitar I dont know how old she is but there are no signs of cracking anywhere She is light as a feather the lightest guitar I've ever played So I hope I don't smack it into something when playing out. // 10

Overall Impression: If there were lost or stolen I would look to replace it this was an absolute STEAL at this price Of course I would have to play one first. I took a flyer on this because of the Price from a pawn shop on ebay It was a Home Run! I own 3 Vintage fenders ( 2 mustangs 65 & 76 and an 83 smith strat ) a G& L strat, 2 Taylor's a Seagull 25 th aniversery addtion and a Gibson Studio Raw Power with Maple body mahagony neck and maple fretboard neck ( unique & awesome ) My amps are Hot Rod Blues Deville 2-12, Mesa subway blues, Hartke 75 ac for accoustic a shitty little Marshall MG30 ( don't buy one) and a bunch of little practice amps and basses. This baby will be my main stay accoustic guitar hands down. // 10

Comments