FX335 review by Yamaha

Yamaha: FX335

I was quite surprised at the sound of this instrument. It has a depth and clarity that instruments twice it's price seemed to be missing. In the low registers it has surprising warmth and punch, while in the high registers it has a stunning clarity and brilliance. Overall I was impressed with how well balanced the sound was. This was not accurately represented by the on board electronics. In fact, the real weakness in sound here lies in the electronics. While it sounded good amplified at first listen, one quickly realizes that the top two strings are significantly louder than anything else, and, as is to be expected with a Piezo system, there is precious little bass to be heard. Which is disappointing because one of the strongest aspects of this instrument lies in it's punchy, well distinguished low end.

A good balance seems to have been struck in this instrument. The sound is superb and more than compensates for whatever minor physical and hardware issues that it may have. Overall, Yamaha has made a quintessential Acoustic guitar; something with natural wood stylings, deep, rich, well rounded sound at a price point that no player can argue with.

As I mentioned before the weak spot as far as reliability and durability are concerned lies in the Gold Die-Cast tuners. Even with minor temperature and humidity changes this guitars tuning fluctuates a fair amount. I also noticed that when returning to a standard tuning from using drop tunings that it would take several tries to get the guitar to stay in tune. This being said, the FX-335 gets the job done. It is very player friendly, one just has to treat it with some tender loving care and it will give it back.

While the feel of this instrument is quite out of the ordinary, the look is not. The finish was well applied all the way around. However I was perturbed to find several scratches in the finish and even a dent in the neck after taking it to a show and some moderately heavy playing. Also with a little bit of time I found that the upper edges of the pickguard started to peel away from the body. These are relatively minor issues, however I believe that some more robustness in design would be in order to make this guitar ready for the road.

Yamaha always seems to strike a happy medium. Whether it is building guitars and jetskies in the same factory, or making a guitar with an incredible sound at an even better price point, their products seems to be very well rounded. The FX-335 is no exception to the rule. This Dreadnought style Acoustic features a spruce top that is complimented by the more tan-ish brown Meranti sides and back, and finished off with a rosewood fingerboard and bridge. The FX-335 sports twenty frets with a surprisingly good reach, despite lack of cutaway, to at least fifteen of them. The tuners and the electronics seem to be the weak spot of this instrument. The tuners are self described by Yamaha as Gold Die-Cast and appear to be off brand. This has resulted in some instability in tuning. The electronics on the FX-335 is a standard Piezo pickup system with a two band EQ and gain control. While the guitar itself has nothing that is overly exotic in it's looks, the sounds that this instrument produce prove to surprise and dazzle the listener more than looks ever could.

A-440
    canvasDude wrote: i don't know, i think i'll stay with taylor for now
    Kikuta
    dobby240 wrote: i allways thought of yahmaha being like wanna be professional's. they'r keyboards are good quality but they seem to wanna make motorbiks and musical equipment and i never quite got that. but this one does sound pretty gd
    Let me just correct you - Yamaha produce some of the best motorcycles on the current market. YZF-R1 > all other 1000cc's on the market kthx.
    BillyLiar
    canvasDude wrote: i don't know, i think i'll stay with taylor for now it's like reading a honda civic review and being like, idk, i think i'll stay with the ferrari for now.
    Yeah, really. If you want a good cheap acoustic the best names I can give you are Alvarez, Takamine, and Yamaha. In that order. I love alvarez's lower line instruments, beautiful tone, nice appearance and you can get an Alv Acoustic/Electric for about 300 bucks!
    surfallday23
    I recently bought my bandmate a used yamaha guitar to replace his practice beater. Got it for a steal and was pretty jealous after I gave it to him because it was way better than my practice guitar. I also have a Yamaha acoustic/electric and get a lot of compliments at shows. Yamaha does a great job. I agree with the Takamine comment above. I got a GS330s a couple days ago for cheap and it is the best acoustic ive played thats under a grand.
    ubtguitarist
    I would have to strongly disagree with the review. The Takamine GS330s is by far the superior guitar in the price range. I recently helped my friend pick out a beginner acoustic and I was suprised by its high quality for the fantastic price. I tried this guitar out and wasn't really impressed. It felt kinda cheap and had an inferior neck to the takamine. It was really an easy choice.(I'm a bit pissed now that I paid 700 dollars for my acoustic which feels and sounds pretty similar to the takamine)
    Robert I.
    To all you Taylor lovers: Yes, of course Taylor guitars are a million times better, but they usually cost a million times more than a Yamaha budget guitar... So if you are a really dedicated guitarist that has lots of money AND can appreciate the difference between a $200 guitar and a $20 000 guitar, go for a Taylor. If you are a dedicated guitarist that can also appreciate the difference, but don't have much money, Yamahas are often a good choice
    Rogue Hermit
    this sounds like a good guitar, but i don't have much experience with yamahas. i've heard washburns and yamahas both make good budget guitars, though.
    Pedalist
    Sounds like the guitar sounds good... Ill definitely be looking for this!
    dobby240
    GuitarPlayer716
    canvasDude wrote: i don't know, i think i'll stay with taylor for now
    Taylor is infinitely superior
    padgea7x
    i'm thinking of saving up for an acoustic, maybe i should get this.....whenever i can. I've played a friends yamaha (electric) it was a low level one(cheap) but it was still good for the price
    Robert I.
    I have the FG750 S, I must say, Yamaha certainly knows how to make good guitars for reasonable prices...