FX335 Review

8.1
 6,298
reviews (3) pictures (3) 22 comments vote for this gear:
FX335 Reviewed by: UG Team, on july 10, 2009

Features: Yamaha always seems to strike a happy medium. Whether it is building guitars and jetskies in the same factory, or making a guitar with an incredible sound at an even better price point, their products seems to be very well rounded. The FX-335 is no exception to the rule. This Dreadnought style Acoustic features a spruce top that is complimented by the more tan-ish brown Meranti sides and back, and finished off with a rosewood fingerboard and bridge. The FX-335 sports twenty frets with a surprisingly good reach, despite lack of cutaway, to at least fifteen of them. The tuners and the electronics seem to be the weak spot of this instrument. The tuners are self described by Yamaha as Gold Die-Cast and appear to be off brand. This has resulted in some instability in tuning. The electronics on the FX-335 is a standard Piezo pickup system with a two band EQ and gain control. While the guitar itself has nothing that is overly exotic in it's looks, the sounds that this instrument produce prove to surprise and dazzle the listener more than looks ever could. // 8

Sound: I was quite surprised at the sound of this instrument. It has a depth and clarity that instruments twice it's price seemed to be missing. In the low registers it has surprising warmth and punch, while in the high registers it has a stunning clarity and brilliance. Overall I was impressed with how well balanced the sound was. This was not accurately represented by the on board electronics. In fact, the real weakness in sound here lies in the electronics. While it sounded good amplified at first listen, one quickly realizes that the top two strings are significantly louder than anything else, and, as is to be expected with a Piezo system, there is precious little bass to be heard. Which is disappointing because one of the strongest aspects of this instrument lies in it's punchy, well distinguished low end. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: While the feel of this instrument is quite out of the ordinary, the look is not. The finish was well applied all the way around. However I was perturbed to find several scratches in the finish and even a dent in the neck after taking it to a show and some moderately heavy playing. Also with a little bit of time I found that the upper edges of the pickguard started to peel away from the body. These are relatively minor issues, however I believe that some more robustness in design would be in order to make this guitar ready for the road. // 8

Reliability & Durability: As I mentioned before the weak spot as far as reliability and durability are concerned lies in the Gold Die-Cast tuners. Even with minor temperature and humidity changes this guitars tuning fluctuates a fair amount. I also noticed that when returning to a standard tuning from using drop tunings that it would take several tries to get the guitar to stay in tune. This being said, the FX-335 gets the job done. It is very player friendly, one just has to treat it with some tender loving care and it will give it back. // 7

Overall Impression: A good balance seems to have been struck in this instrument. The sound is superb and more than compensates for whatever minor physical and hardware issues that it may have. Overall, Yamaha has made a quintessential Acoustic guitar; something with natural wood stylings, deep, rich, well rounded sound at a price point that no player can argue with. // 8

- Nicholas Cole-Klaes (c) 2009

FX335 Reviewed by: guitar21@WE, on october 15, 2005

Features: This is a great acoustic/electric guitar. Has 21 frets on the neck, but playing way up there is hard on it. It came with a gig bag, strap, cable, and all the goodies. I love the styling of this. The only thing that I wish it had/was is a cut away, it is your ordinary non-cut away acoustic, but I'm happy with this how it is. // 9

Sound: I play with this guitar, from Jack Johnson to Led Zep and it does fine for what I want to play. The only thing that I reccomend is that you stick with light gauge strings on this guitar, only because of problems I've run into with medium and the strings staying in place. The medium gauge strings kept popping out. The sound from the electic pickups inside of this guitar are average. I only had trouble with the gain of the guitar on max, and high distortion on the amp, all I recieved was a loud humming noise that was resolved when I placed my palm on the strings. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I love the wood finish of this guitar and clean clear finish of it. It's pick gaurd flows excelently with the rest of the guitar. The guitar did not contain any major flaws. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is very reliable, but I haev put a dent in the side of it when my guitar stand collapsed and my electric fell into the side of this acoustic, but other than that it has held up. The electronics inside of it I have no had one problem with. Holds up fine through the elements outside whenever I bring it outside (Bonfires, Swimming Pools, etc). // 10

Overall Impression: I love this guitar, and if it were stolen or lost, I would most definetly get another one of the same kind. This acoustic fits any of my playing which is anything. Like I said before the only thing that I wish it had was a cut-away body, but it doesn't bother me. Overall, I love this guitar and bring it to many a bonfire to play and sarinate everyone. // 10

FX335 Reviewed by: Ganshar, on october 01, 2008

Features: It was made in Indonesia. Runs on a 9v battery that came with it. 20 frets total. only he first 15 are easy to get to because the body is not cut back. Has pearl-dot inlays with a rosewood neck. You can adjust the treble bass and gain, there is also a button to press for a l.e.d to turn on to tell you if the battery has power. Has a flat face and a flat back with a normal/thin neck. The bridge is non-adjustable but the neck can be adjusted to be concave and convex. // 7

Sound: The sound on this guitar was great much better than I assumed by looking at it. With a new set of strings on it the acoustic tone is more than just fair. I found that it is very good for some one Who plays a lot of chords or a new guitarist that is just learning his scales. I play metal and blues and when I need to play a acoustic part I reach for this. This is not a acoustic/electric guitar as much as it is a acoustic guitar with a pick up in it. Meaning when you amp it up it nothing special. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The only problem that I have with this guitar on mine the bridge has a Splinter cropping out that I did not notice until I got home. Also the plastic in the bridge is wearing down but I am fairly certain you can replace it. Nothing really out of place or put on wrong. Nothing loose and the wires are not seen through the sound hole. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I have nicked this guitar so many times but it still sounds the same. I have hit it on things so hard I thought that I had to of made a dent and I didn't even scratch it. The finish is good you can wipe the guitar down with a wet cloth to clean it and it wont soak through. // 10

Overall Impression: Iv been playing for a year and and a half, And this being my first guitar it was a very good match. The night I brought it home it smelled like kettle corn, not even kidding. I love how it's cheap enough to take any were and not worry about humidity and temperature as much as a more expensive acoustic while still giving the great sound. Good hippie guitar, low maintenance. // 7

Comments