LL16 review by Yamaha

Yamaha: LL16

Purchased from: local store (Russia, Moscow)

A had more than 2000$ budget, and this guitar is the best I found in Moscow (I had compared it with Furchs, Taylors and Takamines). Sound is both bright and powerful (what I miss in Taylors), similar to grand piano. It has quite a lot of bass and is quite boomy for fingerpicking (LJ-16/LS-16 are not), but for flat picking it is perfect. Sustain is good. It has only one dead note (F#3) and it is not very dead, maybe because of a LOT of wood.

It is the best guitar I have seen in Moscow's stores, and definitely the best for 1000$. I would prefer the same guitar with a cutaway. LLX26C has a cutaway, but it costs 6000$ and I found it's neck less comfortable. If I had stolen it, I would buy the same again or, if I am suddenly six times more rich, maybe LLX26C.

Finish is hard and after two hits is still perfect.

Action is quit low even for me. It isn't good, since it is much more simple to fix high action (by fixing bone). Finish is nearly perfect (in a bright light I found one small flaw in back's finish, and I need about minute to find it again). I found a neck more comfortable than LL26's one (LL26 has a V neck, LL16 has a C one).

This is all solid wood guitar made in China. Top is spruce, back and sides are rosewood. It is heavy. Yamaha site says it has an uncommon braces design. Hard case and a wrench to tune neck are included. It is a dreadnought, but it is not too rectangular and I found it more beautiful than Gibson/Martin dreadnoughts.

wjborden1ps
    I own a LL6M and I think it's great. Spend money, and lots of it, on some brand name guitars; doesn't necessarily getting a better sounding instrument.
    dadeedum
    HannibalX is obviously a troll. Or he has confused the LL16 with another guitar...
    wkw1766
    I just purchased this guitar and it has changed somewhat from the original review. The new model as of 08/2014 has a 1 3/4 inch nut and a low oval shaped neck. The guitar also has a pickup now but does not have any onboard controls for it. The tone is very bright and clear and accurate (very mid level Taylor or PRS SE Angelus sounding) almost dry in the bottom end. I am very happy with this purchase and am now looking at the classical version of it.