LLX6 Review

manufacturer: Yamaha date: 12/05/2005 category: Acoustic Guitars
Yamaha: LLX6
It has a very rich, full sound unplugged. It's so easy-played with the low action, and the tones come out so rich and clear.
 8.2
 7.4
 3,587
review (1) 5 comments vote for this gear:
LLX6 Reviewed by: ztevie, on december 05, 2005

Purchased from: MusicShop, Sweden

Features: - Made in Taiwan 2005. Handcrafted. - 20 frets. - Full size dreadnought. - Solid spruce top, Engelmann back & side, Rosewood/Mahogany neck, Hi-gloss finish, Ebony bridge. - Die-cast gold tuning machines. - Preamp System 45, no controls. - Hard case included. // 8

Sound: It has a very rich, full sound unplugged. Tried a lot of guitars at different stores ranging from 300 - 1500 Euro, this had the best unplugged sound of them all. Haven't tested it very much plugged in, but when I did I found the sound was very good, altough not as fullsounding as unplugged. The preamp/pickup has no controls though, so I'll have to test it some more, setting EQ and effects in the mixer. But I have no doubt I can get a really great sound out of it. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Impressive is the least I can say. Being primarily a hard-rockin electric guitar player, I'm used to really low string action and fast-playin necks. This was setup so low I thought when I first picked it up that It's setup was a disaster and the the strings would rattle and dazzle all over the place. But, hell no! Every fret on every string produces clean tones even though the action is so low. I don't know if the store had people setting this guitar up, cause It's hard to believe that the factory setup would be this perfect? It's supposed to be a handcrafted guitar, and I can't complain about anything in the finish, it feels and looks like a really expensive guitar. Everything seems solid, no flaws wahtsoever. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I bought it pretty recently so It's hard to say anything about reliability and durability, but it appears as solid as an acoustic could ever be. The wood feels kind of thick if you know what I mean? Really, really solid. I hope it'll be a 10, but I give it a 9 for now. // 9

Overall Impression: I've been playing guitar for 20 years, and I owned a bunch of guitars before, mainly electrics. This is the best acoustic I've ever owned, there's just no competition. I'm a rocker at heart, and I feel I could play almost anything with this beauty. It's so easy-played with the low action, and the tones come out so rich and clear I was stunned when I first played it. The unplugged sound is the best I've ever heard, and a couple of friends who came over and tried it agree that it has an awesome sound unplugged. I won't say anything about the preamp/pickup, havent tested it properly yet. It has no controls for the preamp, which could seem a bit odd, but appearantly they chose to exclude that feature to avoid making any more holes than necessary in the body? Well, one has to adjust settings in the mixer anyway. The all-acoustic version of this one is the LL6, it's the same guitar, without preamp/pickup so if you're looking for an all-acoustic you should check that one out. It's probably a bit cheaper? I wish it would have a cutaway though, I think you can order it with one. Guess I could have to, but in the same moment I tried it out at the store I knew I had to get this one. Mainly because the setup and tone was so great. I didn't wanna take chances getting another one which may had been less perfect. Stolen, lost? Hell yeah, I'd buy it again! // 9

Comments