4/5 Parlor Size review by Zager

Zager: 4/5 Parlor Size

Purchased from: Zager Guitar

I have less than a years experience so I am a real beginner. My interest is in learning finger style playing. The sound of the Big Baby is bright and clean but with considerable depth, given the small size of the body. The body is 25% smaller than a full size guitar so the sound is understandably not as full. But while the sound does not have the depth of a dreadnought it is more than adequate for parlor use. I was initially unsure if the Big Baby size body would have enough fullness to satisfy me since my only experience was with a dreadnought.

I am learning finger style, country-blues. I've been playing guitar for about 10 months and own a low end dreadnought acoustic guitar. I did a lot of reading up on this guitar before buying and really had no surprises. If anything were to happen to this guitar I am only sure of one thing and that is I would replace it with another Zager guitar, but I may want to try one of the other models. I haven't found anything that I don't like about it. My favorite likes are the size, weight, the feel of the neck. Followed closely by the sound. I love it!

YouTube preview picture

With less than a years experience I have nothing to base this opinion on. The finish seems consistent over the whole instrument. Given the way this guitar will be used, in my home, I can't believe it will ever wear off. The Grover tuners have covered gears and appear to be extremely sturdy. There is only one strap button, which is on the bottom of the guitar, but I have no plans to add another button or in any way use the button that is already there, so I'm sure it will last a very long time.

Every Zager guitar is personally set-up by Denny Zager personally before it is shipped. Included was a print out explaining how the action was set. I checked the measurements given and they were right on. Also given were instruction on adjusting the truss rod if string buzz became a problem. The overall quality of the guitar is excellent. I've gone over the instrument closely and have not found one flaw. The frets appear to be hand filed and are very smooth with no rough edges. The nut and saddle are hand carved tusq and appear well shaped.

Solid-Top, Body and Neck woods all mahogany with a High Gloss Finish. It has an abalone type rosette inlay. The size is close to a traditional OM size but with a 2 inch shorter neck. It has a tusq hand carved nut and saddle. The case was an additional $95. It is made of wood with a leatherette covering and includes a digital humidity system. Also included are a set of light gauge Martin strings and an allen wrench for truss rod adjustment, and a sample package of Zager picks. The guitar also features a Lifetime warranty.