ZAD20E review by Zager

Zager: ZAD20E

Purchased from: Zager Guitars

This is the most beautiful guitar I've ever played. Sounds better than my Dad's Martin HD-16R. It plays just as well or better (we are arguing about this). What is especially impressive to me about this guitar is its dynamic range. It can go from whisper quiet to loud as anything and always sounds amazing while doing it. I play it through the PA at band practice and it really shines. As anyone knows, playing an acoustic amplified can be a tiring exercise in feedback hunting. The EQ made it really easy to find the offending frequency and kill it. The pickups offer plenty of output to play with a loud rock band.

I use this guitar in a rock/psychedelic band. It's a perfect fit as far as sound and playability. I have been playing for almost 30 years and play in 4 to 5 bands at any given time. I also spend a lot of time doing solo work. The stand out features in my mind are it's beautiful sound, it's perfect setup and how just pretty the darn thing looks. I'd have to include it's dynamic range in there as well. There is nothing to hate about this guitar. I compared it to many other guitars, I played my buddies Zager and about 20 high end acoustics at Guitar Center... The choice was easy for both sound and value. I can't believe I found my perfect guitar, best choice I ever made.

Seems to be very well built, sturdy yet light. Perfect stage guitar. The frets are "soft touch" and hand filed. I think they contribute to it's amazing playability. The tuners are incredibly smooth and solid, I've had zero tuning problems. It stays in tune very well. It was pretty close to in tune when I got it in the mail after ground shipping which is pretty incredible. The strap buttons are very good too, high quality and there are no worries about straps slipping off. The electronics are very high quality as well. Sliders, buttons and knob on the control panel feel high quality and it really does sound amazing through various PA's.

The famous "Zager setup"... No guitar comes set up this well. Perfectly intonated (and I mean really perfect, I checked with a chromatic tuner) and the action is AMAZING. You won't believe how well it's set up when you get it. The action is absolutely perfect. Low enough to be very easy to play but not a single fret buzz in sight. Another interesting stand out feature is the string spacing. The strings are just the right distance apart to facilitate great playing. There isn't a single flaw... I've combed over the guitar many times since I got it and it is absolutely flawless.

Made is USA, in Nebraska by Denny Zager of "In The Year 2525" fame. Top is Sitka Spruce, Back, Sides, Neck and Headstock are all Mahogany. Abalone Rosette, Pearl fret markers and a high gloss finish over a flamed top (sunburst). Grover tuners with hand carved nut and saddle. The tuners are really outstanding... Smooth as silk. I bought this guitar because a friend told me I had to check them out. I played his and was completely floored. After getting my own I can't imagine wanting or playing another acoustic at any price.