ZAD80CE review by Zager

Zager: ZAD80CE

Purchased from: Zager online

This guitar is perfect for my style of playing which covers country, rock, pop, folk, etc. The Zager has a nice full sound without being boomy or having a harsh top end. The Fishman electronics are great and sound incredible plugged in. I have had quite a few Fishman products but this combination is my favorite so far. There is no noise added when you bring the treble EQ up in volume which is usually the case with my other guitars. I usually run the guitar into a mixer and then into my JBL speakers. If I'm on tour then it goes into a direct box and then to the front of the house PA. I think the Zager can cover any style of music. It's very versatile and does picking or finger style equally well.

I play pretty much everything as far as style goes (country, rock, blues, folk, pop) and the Zager is perfect for my needs. I have been playing professionally for over 25 years. I have owned Guild, Larrivee, Gibson, Alvarez, Takamine, Kalamzoo, Silvertone, Washburn, Yamaha and other acoustics over the years. They were/are all great guitars but the Zager plays and sounds fantastic and I think this will be my main guitar for quite some time. If it were destroyed or stolen I would absolutely get another one. I may get another one anyway.

This guitar will hold up just fine for my touring and local live playing needs. It is built as solid as any other guitar that I have owned. It seems to be perfectly dependable and I have had absolutely no issues with it. I don't forsee any problems with the finish or hardware. I would use this guitar with no backup at a gig but I always bring a backup no matter how reliable the guitar is. I can be fairly hard on my guitars but the Zager is solid. I can't wait to hear it through a big PA system in a few weeks on tour.

The setup was outstanding. Normally I bring my new guitars to my luthier to set them up but this was perfect for my tastes. Obviously everyone is different but I was very happy with it. The top and back have beautiful bookmatching and the abalone inlay is a nice touch. The was a minor scraping sound against the frets when I would bend strings but it was minimal and seems to be decreasing the more that I play the guitar. Certainly nothing to raise concerns with but I thought that I would mention it. All of the hardware was properly secured. The tuning machine work really well and there wasn't any issues with tuning stability.

This is a 2013 Zager ZAD80CE acoustic guitar. Here are the specifics taken from their website: - Style: Dreadnought - Style: Venetian Cutaway - Top: Western Red Cedar - Back & Sides: Indian Rosewood - Neck: Mahogany - Headstock: Indian Rosewood - Bracework: Zager Design (hand scalloped) - Inlay: Full Abalone - Fret Marker: Pearl Cross - Pick Guard: Tortoise Shell - Pickguard: Gloss Black - Back Detail: Zipper Stripe - Finish: High Gloss - Truss Rod: Custom Adjustment Setting - Built In Transducer: Genuine Fishman - Built in Automatic Tuner: Genuine Fishman - Built in Equalizer: Genuine Fishman - Tuning Machines: Genuine Grover - Nut: Zager Hand Carved - Saddle: Tusq Hand Carved - Strings: Zager Custom Lights (by Martin) - Frets: Zager Soft Touch (hand filed) - Warranty: Lifetime - Dimensions: 41 x 20 x 11 - Hardshell case