B100 review by Acoustic

Acoustic: B100

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

I mostly place harder rock in lower tunings like C#, B, A#, and the 15 inch speaker can handle all the lows. The low mids aren't that great when tuned down that low, but I can deal with it. I play a Ibanez Soundgear 300DX with active pickups and I get a great sound. I do not slap so I can not determine how this thing sounds while slapping, but I think it would sound nice. Anyway when the gain is turned up almost all the way there is a slight I mean slight buzz but nothing to worry about at all. Overall it has an amazingly clear sound especially without a tweeter. Overall sound: This amp was $250 and my bass was $280 this sound but sometimes I feel like I am playing a rig that costs about $1000.

When I bought this and I had been playing bass for about a year and I had been borrowing a friends Funder Rumble 15. I wanted something powerful without spending too much. I have been playing for just under two years now and this thing is great. You get great low's and suprising good high's. I play my Ibanez Soundgear 300DX with active pick-ups and it is loud. For someone that wants more than just a practice amp I would suggest this thing.

Most of the time this thing is sitting in my room because I do not play gigs or anything, so it does not endure too much movement. Therefore I haven't produced and damage to it. I have a feeling that it could get scratched very easily but I'm not sure. If I was going to gig I wouldn't gig anything huge due to the fact it is only 100 Watts. But I think I would play with this in a gig and I wouldn't worry out it failing or anything.

I bought this amp Brand New in 2008 but I am not exactly sure when it was made. It is a loud 100 watts. Appearance wise it the old school look with black, light blue, and white. A heavy duty cloth grill gives it that Vintage look that I personlly like. It has active and passive input jacks which is nice. It has Volume and Gain with a clip indicator. A Frequency knob, and an equalizer with Low, Low-Mid, High-Mid, and High. On the back it has an effects send and return and an external cabinet jack. This does not have a tweeter, I wish it did but you can buy the next combo up that Acoustic makes and it has one. And the blue light is a nice little feature that adds a little identity to the amp.

rcronley_2
    Theyiftah, I bought this for my bass guitars, and for about six months the bass guitars gathered dust while I played my guitars through this amp. It sounds that good, especially if you are into blues oriented sound. If I plug my Strat straight in, it would be a good traditional blues amp, with a soft crunch at full gain, and the built in compression adds to sustain. But. that's not how I roll. I have a DigiTech RP 1000 to put between my guitar and the B-100. Used with a good multi effects pedal, this amp becomes like having a good tube power amp with the pedal being like having a bunch of proper guitar pre amps to choose from. I say that the amp acts like a tube power amp because of the built in compression. If you have a distrotion device that loses volume as you back off into the cleaner tones, putting this amp behind it will help that problem. The compression also allowed me to easily compete with a tube powered Marshall half stack the only time I had this amp on stage. Although I am tempted to hook a couple of tweeters up to this amp an call it hi-fi, I would not bother to hook up another woofer cab unless you must have 4x10. For the price of a cab with a good woofer in it, you could buy another one of these amps and have twice the wattage and be able to go stereo.
    rcronley_2
    I forgot to mention that with that 15 inch speaker, this amp will easily support any metal sounds that your pedals can produce.
    shelldevnull
    The Acoustic B100 is pretty much a mystery to me in name and series.
    Acoustic was a company way back when, before high-tech PA's. They were used by bass greats like Victor Wooten and such, back when the 18" gilded speaker really WHUPPED serious butt. When good PA's came out, Acoustic went bankrupt, but recently Guitar Center brought them back. Think of it as a Guitar Center Bass Amp called Acoustic, in homage to the old company
    JacoVictorKing
    This may be a stupid question, but are "Acoustic" amps for acoustic-electrics only? Or is it just a name?
    the_perdestrian
    Nah, they're for regular electrics
    FlowfanT
    UM Omnipahnt i think its just that the bass u use is bad cause it sounds great with my Dean edge q6....u have a squier (a knockoff) down tuned (makes it muddier than it already is) cmon think bra think
    Sanmanderson
    GrantStuff wrote: Squier isn't a knockoff. It's made by Fender.
    Thank you for correcting him, but it is probably the Squier just because it's what you buy when you can't afford a Fender (like myself). I love Squiers but they do tend to suck when you tune it down low. The amp could be messed up because even though it has a prestigious history, it IS a Guitar Center amp which means it's probably made on a budget. Both great products but they are cheap and you get what you pay for.