BA115 review by Ampeg

Ampeg: BA115

I usually play a Fender Geddy Lee Jazz through it. Between the controls on the amp and bass I get pretty much any sound I want for the different styles of music I play. There is a hiss that comes from the piezo tweeter but it doesn't really bother me, some others have complained about it in other reviews though. Sometimes if I turn all of the settings off and the bass off then turn everything back on the hiss seems to disappear or at least calms down. One other thing I would like is to be able to jack an external cab into it so I could use the big 15" speaker with a 2x10 cab. I haven't had any problems with distortion. The amp itself sounds good but the windows of the house may rattle.

Music I play: rock, classic rock, alt rock, southern rock, country. I used to play years ago but I stopped for 25 years. I just started playing about 14-15 months ago. The gear has changed a lot from the stuff I used to have. I usually play a Fender Geddy through the amp but also a Standard Jazz too. I've played a few Ibanez "actives" through it too and the amp did well with the actives. It has a separate input for active basses. If someone took it I'd be p*ssed, first because some worthless piece of crap stole it and second because I like the amp. Anyway I'd get another one or jump up to the 220 watt 2x10.

I've had the BA-115 for over a year now and use it just about everyday and I have had no problems. It's been very dependable so far. There wouldn't be a reason to have a back up for it while gigging as it has been pretty reliable for me. The amp is a little heavy for a combo but it has a big 15" in it plus the cabinet is built larger in order to "kick" it back, well tilt it back.

I bought the amp last January('07) so I imagine it's a 2006. I play different styles of music such as rock, alt rock, classic rock, southern rock and quite a bit of country. The BA-115 produces the right sound for all types of music, or at least the music I play. The amp has a "style" feature but I don't mess with it much. I usually play it on "3", which I consider flat.I use the amp a lot at home just playing along with music and learning new techniques. I play with some other guys Who usually use acoustic guitars so volume isn't a problem at all. I usually set the master and volume on 2 and control the volume on my bass. I jam with some other guys Who have electrics and so far I've had no problems. Two of the guys have Fender 40 watt amps and I cut through pretty good. Granted they are usually set on "3" but I only have to set the Ampeg on maybe 5 or 6. I've had no problems with the power of the amp even with the drums and guitars. Now we don't crank it real hard since we're a bunch of old dudes, 48 years old and up. I think you could use the BA-115 for small to medium gigs.