BA115 review by Ampeg

• Reviewer's score: 3.5 Poor
Ampeg: BA115

We played through this amp with a 1984 Kramer, an OLP MM3, and a couple of Ibanez 4-strings - one with passive, one with active pickups. The sound was decent, albeit remarkably quiet for a 100w. The deal-breaker, however, was the horrible, incessant 60Hz noise. It was causing the snare to resonate, and even made the guitar strings hum a bit. It was so incredibly maddening that we took it back to the store within a week. The sales associate told us that the noise is normal in an Ampeg combo, and that a 60Hz hum is actually desirable in an amp. I call "bull."

I suppose that $300USD for a 100w Ampeg sounds like a good deal, until you have to deal with that annoying, buzzing, humming sound. I can't say I'm ever going to look at a BA115 ever again, and I don't think I'll regret it. We returned the amp, and bought a Behringer Ultrabass BXR1800H Bass head to go with my spare 2x15 cabinet at home. No remorse, no regrets.

Well, it did survive a car ride home, about six hours of playing, and a car ride home. I can't say I'd ever want to play out with this steamer, though. I honestly don't know how anyone can find that sort of background noise desirable, and I have to seriously question the intelligence of the salesman Who talked the bassist into picking it up.

I'm just going to add to what other people have already posted here. The features on this amp are fairly standard, nothing spectacular, and basically what you can expect from a bass combo amp. I've got a few rather major complaints about this amp, as you'll discover when you read on.