BA115 review by Ampeg

• Reviewer's score: 5.3 Decent
Ampeg: BA115

It has the same hissing noise as others have noted in reviews I've read. Not too bad but it is there. I do like the 5 position switch that acts as an instant EQ... I have a nice Ibanez bass guitar that sounds really good through this amp. The amp doesn't seem to distort at higher volumes and that's what bothers me about it. It isn't very loud when cranked up. At least not what I expect from a 100 watt Ampeg.

I play mostly rock stuff... Beatles, Stones and the like. Been playing for 45 years or so and have had all kinds of amps over the years. If it were stolen or lost I wouldn't buy another without trying different amps first. I chose the Ampeg because of the name. They have always made quality products and I guess this is one. Just not enough volume for me.

I bought it used so I'm not sure about durability but it is an Ampeg so... I don't gig any more so it will be used mostly for recording and the occasional basement jam session. I will keep my old Peavey around just in case this Ampeg decides to act up... Although I don't expect it to.

I'll tell ya what. This amp has a very nice tone too it and I like the tilt back feature... But my old Peavey Basic 50 bass amp seems to be almost as loud as the Ampeg. The Ampeg beats it hands down in tone but for 100 watts it sure isn't as loud as I hoped it would be. I may have to look at other amps next.

Straydogger
    I pulled the front cover off And unplugged the little horn/tweeter. It took the crazy hiss away and now it's quite a nice little amp. Works great for recording direct.