BA115HPT Review

manufacturer: Ampeg date: 12/01/2011 category: Bass Amplifiers
Ampeg: BA115HPT
This amp is a really reliable, good-sounding one for my taste. I play a lot of different styles from alternative rock to metal, funky, etc, it's pretty much suitable for everything.
 9.3
 8.8
 9.8
 2,640
review (1) pictures (2) 2 comments vote for this gear:
BA115HPT Reviewed by: TBone142, on december 01, 2011

Sound: I play a lot of different styles from alternative rock to metal, funky, etc, it's pretty much suitable for everything. Thanks to the tubed preamp it has a really smooth tone, but it can be a lot different - I only have to play around a bit with the EQ-knobs and the style switch. There wasn't a sound that I couldn't make out of it what I wanted. Since the speaker is 250W, it never distorts if I don't want it to. But if I do, I just turn the gain up and turn the style-switch to the desired tone. It's at its best in a big tent, or in small-mid sized clubs. On an open-air stage it could be less powerful, but what do I want? // 9

Reliability & Durability: It's a well-built amp. It served me well on a lot of gigs, as well as other bassists who asked me to lend it to them. It's gain and master volume knobs are broken and there are a few scratches on it's side, but I never used a bag to carry it and most of the time there was something put on the top of it, so it's OK I guess. After a couple of months the 15" speaker broke somehow, but it got replaced by the company where I bought it (for free) and it's still good since then. Recently the tweeter gone off of it, but I read that it's a common problem at these amps and it's even better without it, but that isn't a solution to the problem really, and I'll try to replace it and see how long will the new one work. First I thought that there's a problem with the tube so I replaced it, but after that I found out it was the tweeter. I never replaced the tube in it before, so I guess it's reliable in that way too. // 8

Overall Impression: I really like this amp, and I can't understand those who hate Ampeg. This amp is a really reliable, good-sounding one for my taste, and if I'll buy another amp it'll be a better Ampeg. Yeah, I never owned any other amps before this, but I played on a couple different ones, and I'd always stick to this one. Unfortunately Ampeg's site says it's a discontinued product. The alternative to it is the 115HP, which is the same as this one but without the tube preamp. Anyway, if You want to buy a bass amp and You run into this somewhere in the price range You could afford, I wouldn't hesitate a bit. // 9

Comments