SVT-2PRO review by Ampeg

Ampeg: SVT-2PRO

I use anything from my stingray 5 to a Gibson EB-3, as well as the occasional Galveston 8 string and Ibanez acoustic bass. All my basses are rigged with the factory pickups. There is a large difference in sound between all these guitars but with this amp I can make them all sound exactly how I want them too. I use the stingray for hardcore, the Gibson ('68 model) for bluesy stuff, and both the galveston and Ibanez at my church for praise and wirship along with the stingray. This amp can easily Switch between all these styles, especially with the EQ and hi/low controls. with the push of a button I can move from one style to the next without changing the main preamp settings. One more thing in my rig that is very handy is my Boss GT-6B effects proccesor. With this I like to use many different effects and have never had any trouble with anything other than distortion, wich I fing to be shrill and piercing.

I play anything from hardcore to praise and worship to the occasional slap on this amp and along with the rest of my rig I could not be hapier with the sound. I have pleyed bass for around 4 maybe 5 years now and consider myself to be an intermediate player, this along with the fact that I play at least two shos a week between my harcore band and my church I am glad to know that this amp will last through the show. One thing I never like was the volume level. this amp still gets plenty of volume for all my shows but it is not as loud as my Gallien Krueger 700 watt solid state head. I expected a 300 watt tube head to beat the GK out on volume by a long shot but it does not. As far as getting another if mine were lost or stolen I dont think I could afford it because they retail for around 1500-USD. But I would definitely do all that I could in my power to get it back. This is one serious rig I recomment checking out. One last thing, I'm no Afi fan but I hear their bassist uses these heads so if you want sound clips just check them out.

This amp has only had one problem in the durability and that is the fuse. I put all my equipment through constant abuse but not enough for the fuse to have blown twice as it has. I also own a ender hot rod deluxe guitar amp wich I put through much abuse as well and the fuse has never blown. as far as this goes I expected much more from Ampeg. Keep in mind though mine is a model from the '80s and for it to have lasted this long and still be going I will still give it a high score for durability seeing as the fuse is only a minor detail.

The model of this amp I purchased is actually an '80s model SVT-2. This does not effect anything except it is missing the compression control. This amp is a 300 watt all tubed amp. It comes equipped with a single channel, effects loop, and and a ten band EQ. When I bought this amp it was refurbished with new Mesa tubes so I never got the chance to hear the factory tubes but the Mesas are great and push plenty of power. This amp also comes with an optional foot pedal for the EQ. I personally do not use it because there is not enough difference between the sound for me personally but it does help to fine tune things. It also has a high and low boost as well as a kind of boost control. And of course the usuall mid, treble, bass controls.

The Demiurge
    that makes no sense to me still using the crappy 10watter i got with me guitar theres no space for anything good in me house thou ive had few goes on bigased marshell amps me mates got a band and the sound is ace thou wheni get around to getting a good 1 any 1 got any recomendations