SVT-450H review by Ampeg

Ampeg: SVT-450H

I play a Fender Precision Bass with an EMG-P and a Fender Jazz Bass V with 2 EMG-J's. I am picky sometimes about my bass tone, but this amp helps me dial in the right tone for the right recording or song. This amp is not as quiet at high volumes since it has a MOSFET output, as I explained in the "Features" section. This amp can get a very gritty distortion if the gain is cranked up, but a pedal could help for the most part.

I play very many styles of music ranging from reggae to Slipknot-esque metal. This amp handles all of that perfectly, regardless of the cab you are driving it with. I have been playing for a good 5 years and would consider myself a tone-freak and love to build good solid tones. This amp has helped me greatly in finding my best bass tone. The on-board EQ has to be my favorite part, and I feel that it is missing nothing. I would definetly go for this head again if I lost it.

This amp, like every other Ampeg, is built like a tank and built to last forever. I take this thing to every show I play and I have had no problems whatsoever. A benefit of the MOSFET output is that I do not have to worry about replacing tubes so it is beneficial in many ways.

I purchased this head in the fall of 2007 so it is relatively new. This amp is the top of the line for bass heads, 450 Watts of pure power. This amp can be used for any style of music you could think of. From funk to heavy metal it will do the job perfectly. The only thing many players will consider that it is not all tube. That is not a problem since this amp features a MOSFET output which means it boosts the output signal but decreases the resistance which I immediately found impressive. Also included is one of my favorite features of any kind of amp is the on-board graphic EQ. I love to make tones and this EQ is very strong and helps shape the perfect tone.

TheFly_1990
    theres one of these at the recording studio I use, sounds damn awful, the EQ doesn't really do anything and the MOSFET feature you mentioned so much isn't that great either, as good as the name Ampeg is, I wouldn't buy this
    lorrythebassguy
    i completely disagree, its a great amp, okay so its not the best in the ampeg range, but its good for an SS amp.
    Revhain
    SVT's are really popular around my area, and its easy to understand why
    Your41Plague12
    I've tried this right next to the SVT Classic (which I ended up buying), and you can definitely tell the difference. There's no substitute for quality gear, but this one isn't too bad either. It's solid, but not amazing.
    sam1618
    if you have money for the SVT CL, then do it. if youre just gigging weekly in town, id say go with the 450. its not a tube head, but its not bad either. something i heard you can do that makes it sound real nice, is either a tube overdrive processor, or an overdrive peddle. havent tried either and havent really looked, but id imagine it would compliment the ss preamp pretty well.