SVT-450H review by Ampeg

• Reviewer's score: 6.5 Neat
Ampeg: SVT-450H

Purchased from: Musciansfriend.com

For reference I play a Fender American Deluxe Jazz 1995, and a 1999 American Precision. This is where this amp really disappoints. The sound is very clean, but also very transparent. It sounds like you are just playing into a power amp. I was going to buy the SVT-CL, but at 3x the price I decided to go with the 450h. But after gigging with this amp 4-5 times a month for the last two years I am disappointed with the sound. The preamp just seems to be an eq. I am probably going to upgrade to the CL or pro 6 soon. Plus it is always at half volume or more just to compete with my loud drummer.

Well as far as a gigging amp it is a reliable, good looking head. But as for tone, it will leave you lost in the mix. I wouldn't buy it again, and will probably end up selling it. I might Switch to guitar in the near future, but if I stay on bass this will be traded in on a better Ampeg.

It is built very nice, and looks like a Vintage SVT head. Like I said I play out with this head weekly at half volume and have no issues. It has been through rain, snow, beer, and being banged on door openings. It still looks new except some of the chrome corners are starting to rust. But it is 100% reliable.

This is the updated version with 450 watts vs the old 350 watts 350h model. Personally I always thought Ampeg's wattage was way over rated. It is very quiet for 450 watts. I run it into the 410HLF 4ohm cab, so it is putting out its full power. I practice with a Peavey max 700 which puts 475 watts into a 4ohm cab, and the Peavey is much louder. It has all the standard stuff 9-band eq, limiter, effects loop, and speakon outs. This head would benefit greatly form a tube preamp.