Electric Blue 12-180 EVO II review by Ashdown

Ashdown: Electric Blue 12-180 EVO II

Purchased from: Dolphin Music

I'm using the amp with a Vintage Modified Squier Jazz bass and the sound is brilliant! You would be hard pressed to find another amp for this price which is capable of producing such a good sound. when I bought the amp a few anxieties were in my head, would the amp be loud enough to play live, should I have gone for the 15" speaker, or the MAG300? After playing this amp live I've come to the conclusion that: the EB is just loud enough for some gigs (not connected to PA). You can hear yourself on stage alongside a very loud drummer and very loud guitarist but if you want to be absolutely sure your sound is gunna be heard right to the back of the venue, go for a MAG300. Everything about this amp is amazing, but if you are at a gig where you can't connect to the PA, not many people in the audience are going to be lucky enough to hear the great sound of the amp.

This amp has most types of music covered. Jazz, blues, rock. If you want an amp which sounds brilliant, is reliable and capable of playing practices and small gigs, this is the one! If you want an amp which you can cope with big gigs, take a look at the MAGs/ABMs.

Ashdown is a name you can trust. I know a few people who have Ashdowns and none of them have ever had any problems. The build quality is great, you can just tell these amps are built to cope with being moved around a lot. I used fear that the small handle on the top of the amp is going to snap but I've discovered it's stronger than it looks. I've never kicked the kick-proof grille but I'm sure it really is kick-proof.

This is a solid state bass amp with 180 watts rms power and one 12" speaker. I believe Ashdown used to make the electric blues with 150 watts of power and then went to 180. In my opinion the amp has enough controls to allow you to get the sound you want but not too many features to confuse you. After just a few minutes of playin with the controls I was able to get an amazing sound from the head and the punchy 12" speaker. I got the amp this year (08) and it has the sub-harmonics generator, which is fun for a while but I wouldn't have it switched on when playing Live. There is an illuminated VU meter which allows you to balance your input and output levels and to be honest it just looks great on a dark stage! I think Ashdown now make this amp with a compressor feature as well. Overall this amp has the features you need and they are easy to use, also, the EB looks great and stands out amongst other amps with its blue speaker & blue face on the head, and the classy Ashdown logo.

jmax4406
    I have the electric blue 15-180 (15" speaker instead of the 12")....and it by far one of the best bass amps that I have ever heard for the money...and I work at a guitar shop
    Hammerzeit
    I have it, it makes my old p bass with nearly dead strings sound so good. A great first gigging and practice amp.