Electric Blue 12-180 EVO II review by Ashdown

Ashdown: Electric Blue 12-180 EVO II

I play a variety of styles including Blues, Jazz, and classic rock, but I mainly play blues & punk roack. My main basses are an Epiphone EB3 & a Fender Marcus Miller jazz. The amp suits these styles well. I can dial in a lot of bottom end for the heavier sounds with the EQ and the deep switch. You can also achieve a good high end twang, but if you turn the treb control up too much, the bass becomes "tinny", especially with an active bass. The amp can sometimes sound muddy, but with a few teaks of the EQ this can be cured. Sometime the amp sounds too sharp, so I wish it had a compressor! The amp does distort at high volumes, but if you turn the Input level down most of the distortion goes.

I play mainly blues & rock covers/originals with two very different basses, but this amp is very flexible and still lets my dial in the tone I want. It allows me to have lots of bottom end but still keep the high end twang that I love. I've played a variety of different amps, including Laneys, Ampegs & Marshall bass amps but this is definately the best value for money. You get all the features you expect of a pro bass amp, for an affordable price! I'm glad I bought this amp because it's great for practicing and it's enough to drown out my very noisy drummer! Next I think I'm going to get an extension cab for it. If it was lost or stolen, I would most definately buy another one! My favourite feature is the Flexible EQ and the VU meter, which allows you to get rid of any clipping you might get (especially from my active bass). I recommend this for any bassist that has just started gigging regularly and needs a good, all round amp!

I've lugged this amp up and down stairs, on and off stages, in and out the back off the car and it's even fallen down the stairs and the thing still works fine! It has never broken down on me so I never take a backup to gigs. The amps as solid as a rock, with plastic corners to help protect it. It has a carpet covering to protect it (from everything except cat hairs)! I'll happily give the amp a 10 for this.

I use this amp for small to medium gigs with my band. For stage/practice it has enough volume to make you stand out. The EQ is very flexible & the input meter shows when the signal clips. You can also Switch the EQ in and out. there's a sub harmonic but I don't use it, simply because I don't understand how! The latest model now comes with a compressor, which would have come in handy. The deep switch works really well, however I can't hear any difference at all when the bright Switch is on. there's also another speaker out on the back panel so you can Drive another cabinet!

prt1990
    Does anyone know if the Evo II (more recent) version of this amp is any good?
    prt1990
    I just got the Evo II version and the handle snapped the first time I used it, so the thing crashed to the floor :|