Electric Blue 15-180 review by Ashdown

Ashdown: Electric Blue 15-180

Purchased from: Online

The best part of this amp is the sound. As soon as I played through it for the first time I knew it was right for me. Even without touhing the EQ the sound was great. I Play using a Peavey Cirrus 4 string, which has a great natural sound and I wanted something that would compliment it nicely. I sometimes find some makes of amp can add a lot of top end or add unwanted sound to your bass, but not this. This amp can get a good sound for any style I have ever needed. I have also played at loud volumes with both a 4 and 5 string and it can pick up all frequencies well.

In my opinion, this amp is the best that money can buy within its price range, and it can certainly contend with amps that are much more expensive than it. It looks great too, with the electric blue strip across the top.The only downside to this amp is that it is quite large and heavy, and can be difficult to transport to and from gigs, especially if you don't have a car! Unless you have lots of money to spend on an amp, I don't think there's a better one out there!

This amp has never let me down in the 4 / 5 years I have had it. It's taken a fair few knocks and bumps in that time too, and it sound as good as ever. It's covered in carpet which means it never gets (visible) scratches or marks. I can't find any fault here.

This is a good amp for features, not great, but good. It's got 5 knobs for EQ which can get you most sounds you would want. I play a huge range of styles including rock, metal, funk, progressive, IDM and pop, and I can get a decent sound for all of them. Even with a flat EQ you get a good, and importantly an unaltered sound. Some other useful features include an input for both active and passive basses, an effects loop, subharmonics (or an octave effect, compression and a DI output.

harrygolding
    My first amp, love it. Nothing bad about it. Except weighs a lot and hard to carry about. Pros; sounds great live, good tone, versatile, looks good, very loud, easy to use, little distortion when at high levels volume, decent price, great for home and band practise, can also use amp with guitar or keyboard well. Cons; very heavy weight, may cause earthquakes and erections. Overall; if you're looking for a beast you found one. Would recommend. Would buy again.
    zach.baranek
    any guitarists (non-bass!) who have used this amp, by all means, chime in! I am looking at the head version, excellent condition to run through a Sunn 610 vintage cab, also in superb condition, for a beefy, doom-laden, whatever the **** else sounds good.. well, sound! I already have a top notch guitar rig that I use. I am really interested in this bass head because I can get it for under 200 used, it is Ashdown, and that sub-octave deal with the right fuzz pedal and my p90 neck pickup could be something to behold... the arctopus!
    guitar-noob=P
    After 6 months of owning this amp and gigging in larger venues I found a flaw in this amp which means I have to invest 100, the simple lack of ground lift switch for the DI Means you get ground loop causing an annoying hum when you DI out. I had to invest in a DI box separately, but to be honest appart from being an annoying set back, it wasn't that big of a deal, it gave me an excuse to buy a Hartke vxl Bass Attack, so I can have a different preamp sound now while having a DI without the hum. Then again if you bought the amp intending to use it as a monitor to hear yourself whilst using the DI out you may be rather annoyed. Other than that, it's a bloody great amp.
    lukejongibson
    Is that only for the combo amp, or does that include the head + cab version of this amp too?
    robyk666
    btw before I bought it I wanted to know the real power of speaker (RMS), because everywhere it says 180W, which is power of head. Now, as it arrived I opened it and discovered it for you! Speaker is 15" 8ohm 150W. I thought it will be only 100W, so I am very pleased. And could somebody tell me what will happen if I add external box? Will it put 90W into every speaker? Thanks.
    Tabforlife
    I've had this amp for 2 months now, and I've only been amazed by it... I bought this amp to suit my first bass guitar (a Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz Bass) and together they are a great value for the price, which was just what I needed as I had little money to invest. My friend has a Fender Rumble 100, which costs about the same, and compared to this amp the Rumble is worthless, as it's less versatile (except for the overdrive effect), the quality of tone is inferior and it starts humming annoyingly when turning bass/highs over 7. The amp itsself also looks excellent and the VU meter and input setting come in useful. Amp itsself is quite heavy (about 20kg), but I guess that's inevitable with a 15 inch speaker if you want to build a sturdy, reliable amp. I see no further downsides to this amp...