MAG 300H review by Ashdown

• Reviewer's score: 6.3 Neat
Ashdown: MAG 300H

Purchased from: PMT

Very versatile and used originally with Ashdown C115 and C210T cabs. Good rounded tones articulate and compliant, not overly bright. Back of trouser legs vibrating comes to mind. For a not overly expensive rig this setup could deliver tons of throbbing bass. Could tend to run out of steam at high levels but when overdriven there were no horrible sounds present. The excellent EQ allows a very varied range of tones. The sub-harmonic generator has little use to me and seems like a gimic but I'm sure there are plenty out ther who will enjoy it.

A well conceived amp spoilt by cheep components and accessories. The preamp is very well designed and quiet, the power amp section is cheep and nasty and the case is filled with fresh air. Its concept is fantastic though and can deliver, as long as it doesn't go wrong. Since disater the amp has worked faultlessly but I was always worried it was gonna blow up. I use it as a spare now.

Oh dear! Everything eventually burnt out, the 15" (in C115 cab)driver went short once blowing the fuses in the amp. Both the 10" drivers in the C210T cab went open circuit over time. The amps output transistors went short blowing up the rectifier also, not good! It was an expensive repair and I replaced the speakers (all three) with Eminence drivers that never failed again. I fixed the amp and was back on the road again, also increased the fan speed to stop the amp burning out, never went wrong again after that, phew! In all, a bit of a nightmare. I have to say this rig was hammered but burning out speakers? Amp blowing up? That's too much. Ashdown rate this amp at 307W. I did some tests and found that into a 4ohm resistive load it only delivered 273W (at 1kHz), into 8ohms a mere 195W (at clipping). Where did 307W come from? At this power the orignal Ashdown speakers weren't up to much.

I realise this amp is a bit out of date now but as no review is present I thought it a good idea to share my experiences. I bought this amp about 5 years ago and still use it to this day (but not the associated cabs). Firstly, this amp has an excellent and well designed preamp with good features including post EQ DI out, sub-harmonic generator, effect send/return, VU meter, tuner out, Hi/Low Z ip, input gain and master volume controls. The 5 tone controls are well thought out allowing all manner of adjustment for bass. There's also an EQ bypass button, deep button and bright button. Ashdown rate this amp at 307W but we'll discuss this later! There are two 1/4" speaker connectors on the rear. Single cooling fan at rear (slightly noisey). The case has a side handle and covered with carpet type cloth and seems durable enough. The weight is not overly heavy.

ProgFolk12
    I've used plenty of these ashdown MAGs at gigs. They seem to sound pretty solid but a lot of people I know are underwhelmed by the reliability. This review would tend to agree...