MAG 600R Head review by Ashdown

Ashdown: MAG 600R Head

Purchased from: Rockin' Robin

It preforms amazingly at high volumes. It keeps that clean sound but has such punch. I love standing in front of it and feeling it push my leg hairs forward. It gives a good sound when I strum, slap, tap, and slide. One thing I was very impressed with was I had it at full volume and simply but my hand over the neck of my bass and the amp didn't make a peep. It was so quiet when I walked back over to it I had forgotten it was on and slapped my bass about 2 feet from the amp and nearly fell over. It's the most volume I've ever gotten out of a half stack and it still sounds amazing. Besides it delivering such a strong sound the tweeter is just great, it makes tapping sound freaking awesome.

This is the most metal bass amp I've ever seen or played on. It fits my style like Michael Jackson's glove fits in a little boys pants (I was so close to no politically incorrect jokes too). This was my first bass amp, but by far the best I played with. I had been trying to find a good bass amp for about a year when I bought this one a couple of months ago. When I was looking I tried everything out, from Ampeg to Peavey. Pretty much as long as I had been playing. I couldn't really ask for anything else from this thing. It just needs a pedal if you're going to be doing anything special. I still suggest you try it out before you buy it, I read some reviews about the speaker screws being lose. Mine was fine though. In summation, if you're looking for a good, solid, maybe a little too solid, amp and head these might work. They're loud, sound great, but are very very heavy. I think for such a low price and high quality it's a great piece of equipment. I still suggest you try it out before you buy it, I read some reviews about the speaker screws being lose. Mine was fine though.

So far I haven't had to really rely on it, I move it pretty much everyday though and so far it's been completely fine. I would play this thing without a backup without a second thought. This thing is so solid though, I wouldn't do it but I wouldn't be surprised if it could survive being dropped out of the back of a truck. It is heavy as hell though.

The first thing I noticed was how it looked, Ashdown's always look amazing. The blue on the speakers gets me for some reason. I started playing with it and it sounded good, I was looking for a tube head but the Mag 600 gave a very nice sound. To answer a few of the "suggested questions," this amp and head were made in 2007, it has one channel and, High and Low Instrument inputs. And yes, it does have a headphone jack (spiffy, am I right). I use this amp to play metal, which as anyone Who plays metal would know, metal is loud. This thing gets surprisingly loud. I have been able to not only drown out the guitarist I play with, but also shake all the windows in my house and I even knocked a picture off the other day. Even after all that the 4 10's still give a smooth non-distorted sound. And if you're looking for a Cliff Burton feeling that works too. I threw my guitar pedal on it, added a little distortion and Anesthesia sounded pretty damn good, I thought. The only real effect on the head is the sub-harmonics, which are good but I never use. I wouldn't mind some other effects, such as delay or chorus but I needed a pedal for wah anyways.

olithebass
    I was really thinking about getting one of these with the 4 10" speakers. I already have the 180 watt combo. pretty powerful!! I have a really all around style of playing. jazz, blues, metal, rock, funk you recon its good for slapping????
    blinkjoe182
    JMDavis07
    blinkjoe182 wrote: can you get a bright springy pop punk sound from this? Eg: blink 182/new found glory/greenday
    Of course.