MAG 600R Head Review

manufacturer: Ashdown date: 01/10/2008 category: Bass Amplifiers

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Ashdown: MAG 600R Head
Bigger brother to the MAG300 model, the MAG 600R rack-mounting amplifier head features a potent new fan-cooled 575 watts RMS power section. Rotary bass, middle and treble controls are supplemented by smaller rotary controls providing 15dB of cut and boost at 220Hz and 1.6kHz, providing a comprehensive 5 band EQ section.
 8.6
 8.2
 2,043
review (1) 3 comments vote for this gear:
MAG 600R Head Reviewed by: pyrobonez, on january 10, 2008

Purchased from: Rockin' Robin

Sound: It preforms amazingly at high volumes. It keeps that clean sound but has such punch. I love standing in front of it and feeling it push my leg hairs forward. It gives a good sound when I strum, slap, tap, and slide. One thing I was very impressed with was I had it at full volume and simply but my hand over the neck of my bass and the amp didn't make a peep. It was so quiet when I walked back over to it I had forgotten it was on and slapped my bass about 2 feet from the amp and nearly fell over. It's the most volume I've ever gotten out of a half stack and it still sounds amazing. Besides it delivering such a strong sound the tweeter is just great, it makes tapping sound freaking awesome. // 10

Reliability & Durability: So far I haven't had to really rely on it, I move it pretty much everyday though and so far it's been completely fine. I would play this thing without a backup without a second thought. This thing is so solid though, I wouldn't do it but I wouldn't be surprised if it could survive being dropped out of the back of a truck. It is heavy as hell though. // 10

Overall Impression: This is the most metal bass amp I've ever seen or played on. It fits my style like Michael Jackson's glove fits in a little boys pants (I was so close to no politically incorrect jokes too). This was my first bass amp, but by far the best I played with. I had been trying to find a good bass amp for about a year when I bought this one a couple of months ago. When I was looking I tried everything out, from Ampeg to Peavey. Pretty much as long as I had been playing. I couldn't really ask for anything else from this thing. It just needs a pedal if you're going to be doing anything special. I still suggest you try it out before you buy it, I read some reviews about the speaker screws being lose. Mine was fine though. In summation, if you're looking for a good, solid, maybe a little too solid, amp and head these might work. They're loud, sound great, but are very very heavy. I think for such a low price and high quality it's a great piece of equipment. I still suggest you try it out before you buy it, I read some reviews about the speaker screws being lose. Mine was fine though. // 9

Comments