BMAX Review

manufacturer: BBE date: 03/01/2013 category: Bass Amplifiers
BBE: BMAX
It is a solid state preamp with a class A/B front end, which emulates tube sound.
 9.3
 8.5
 1,073
review (1) pictures (2) user comments vote for this gear:
BMAX Reviewed by: H, Omitted, on march 01, 2013

Purchased from: ebay

Sound: This is a bass preamp, but I'm actually using it with guitars. I have the BMAX plugged into the effects return of my Randall head, bypassing its preamp section entirely, that is hooked up to a 4x12 cab. I have an Ibanez delay in the effects loop, and in the front I have a metal distortion pedal, a wah, an Ibanez chorus, and a Boss NS-2. I'm using an Ibanez RG-7321 with a DiMarzio PAF7 in the bridge as my main instrument here. There really isn't a flat setting on this thing. Turning your knobs to 12 o clock, with compression and the maximizer on, will give you a loud, bassy sound. With distortion, it is possible to shake the house. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Since it is solid state, I expect it to last quite a while. Plus I don't know of any music shops where I live that can fix BBE stuff. I would use it in a gig definitely. My only wish is that there was a GMAX. BBE, get on that! Since I'm using it for guitar instead of bass, I've been putting it through its paces while adding it to my sonic arsenal. I keep it in a rack and have it plugged into a power conditioner for protection, so hopefully the only thing I have to worry about is scuffs from the rack in the highly unlikely event I were to resell it. // 8

Overall Impression: I play rock and metal, with a little bit of improvisation. Originally I was looking for a Sonic Maximizer, but when I found out the BMAX had that and a bag of chips, I had to get it. Soon I plan to experiment and combine it with my other preamp, the Rocktron Gainiac 2. I'm pairing it with pedals I've acquired over 8 or 9 years and it seems to take them well. EQ always needs adjusting so that my distortion doesn't sound like a muffled mess, but with this I've found that my distortion is a tad bit livelier. // 10

Comments