Ultrabass BX1200 review by Behringer

• Reviewer's score: 5.3 Decent
Behringer: Ultrabass BX1200

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

I mostly used my Squier P-Bass with this, but I also have plugged in my Dean Acoustic-Electrice EABC 5-string and my Dean Edge 06Q 6-string and like I said before, no matter what, you're better off setting the tone to neutral. If you do try to use it, it was just sound bad in a different way with each type of bass and pickup. The sound will only suit your style if your style is to sound horrible. Also, it has lately been giving me bad feedback problems and making random popping sounds.

I'm just a regular everyday bassist, so my impression is not of monumental importance really. However, I do play a lot from Jazz to Blues to Rock, Grunge, and the occasional Metal. This bass is not really recommended for any of those styles, or any other styles of music. I have been playing for about 6 years now, and been playing music on other instruments for almost 10 years. I own a Fender Rumble 15 combo amp, and handful of guitars, basses, bass pedals, and other acoustic instruments such as the violin and ukulele. Had I known then what I know now I would never even gone near the amp. I would NOT replace this amp with another one, rather than a quality combo amp. There is really nothing to love about it besides it was my first "big" amp, so I guess some slight nostalgia. I hate the tone and everything else about it, and I chose it because of the price and at the time I had been tricked into believing Behringer made good equipment. I wish I had compared it with anything before buying it, because I am certain I would have not bought it, and I wish it had good tone, because then that would be $300 better spent. So, overall, unless you're buying it used for about $50, stay away... FAR away!

Until recently, and I got it somewhere around 4-5 years ago, it has been reliably bad. No pooping sounds until about a month ago, and the signal was always clear with no problems with anything else. I never left it in any bad environments or anything like that, I took good care of it. I mean, IF I had to use it at a gig, I would not need to bother bringing a backup. So, maybe its durability is its one redeeming quality.

Let me start by saying the Behringer BX 1200 has been discontinued for some time now. This was probably due to them putting out a 180 watt amp (the 1200 being a 120 watt amp)for the same price. At first, being a young musician, I loved the amp for pretty much 2 reasons: It had more knobs that my Fender Rumble 15 and it was louder. However, as I matured musically and tonally, I have come to resent it in some ways. I should have spent my money on a higher end 60 watt, since I rarely use the full volume on it in the venues I use it. I mean, the tone is not so horrible I can't stand it, just not good... at all. I generally set it to all EQ in the middle and use my bass and a EQ pedal to set my tone for anything I play, which is from rock to blues to grunge. It has two inputs: one for passive pickups and the other for active. The EQ itself is interesting, It has Bass, Low Mid, High Mid, and Treble. This allowed me to fool around with the Mids in new ways, but mostly I had to set them close to each other or to the Bass/Treble and kill the mids. There were 2-channel options. One channel had a gain control while the other has a gain and shape. The shape pretty much did absolutely nothing but disappoint me when it came time for me to fool around with it. There is also an "Ultrabass" setting which can be turned off and on, and the knob adjusts how much to give you a bass boost. This works when your bass setting are not already up, but otherwise makes everything muddy. The amp also came with a footswitch to turn Ultrbass On/Off and switch between channels. It does have a Output plug in the back and I have tested plugging it into my Fender Rumble, but it just gave me quieter bad tone out of a good amp.

randy.perreault
    I have had this amp for years now... this particular amp is pretty reliable, but nothing special. A good practice amp, or an amp to take onstage with you sometimes because of it's direct out. It seems to lack power for 120 watts though.
    ITucker_034I
    I had this amp, its awful, but something about it makes me miss it. It's almost as if it knows how bad it is. I always thought it had a good sound until I tried other "big" amps. traded it for a marshall bass state 65 which beats this in every way. It was only a bit more and despite the large power difference, there isnt a noticeable volume difference.
    ITucker_034I
    behringer are fairly terrible but good reliability. Would also recommend their bass distortion pedals. Very good for very little money.