Ultrabass BX1200 Review

manufacturer: Behringer date: 01/14/2010 category: Bass Amplifiers
Behringer: Ultrabass BX1200
The BX1200 features a custom-made 12" aluminum cone speaker that reproduces your sound with incredible power, sensitivity and warmth.
 6.9
 6.9
 6.8
 10,421
reviews (2) 16 comments vote for this gear:
Ultrabass BX1200 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 14, 2005

Purchased from: www.musicianswarehouse.com.au

Sound: I am only using a cheap Samick and the Behringher amp makes it sound alot better than it ever could have on my old, small inferior amp. When the amp has been goping for a while on a loud setting it does make some fairly loud noise from the electronics inside but that never fusses anyone. The amp does have some fair variety and does sound good both when the volume is down and when it is also cranked. When you are in a room where there is not much to be rattled, for example, the 20th fret on the fat E string sounds as clean as you would ever want it - very minimal distortion. Rating of 4.5 instead of four! So far it has stood up very well to other players amps and a drum kit and I am yet to push it to its limits. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It has proven to be very reliable except once I got scared but then realised that because the power chord plugs in instead of being moulded in, it had just droppped out. // 8

Overall Impression: I thought that $450 bucks australian for a german designed 120watt amp was a very good deal. A friends brother has 100watt bass amp which looks about 25% taller so the Behringer has proven to be quite a pint-sized beast. Although it is not very tall (20 inches, 51cm) it does way a stack 22kg or 48.5 pounds. I do like the way the back is cut which allows the amp to lie back on an angle getting the sound up into the air. Does have a very short power chord though, only 3 feet long cary an extension cord. // 8

Ultrabass BX1200 Reviewed by: Robb987123Bass, on january 14, 2010

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Sound: I mostly used my Squier P-Bass with this, but I also have plugged in my Dean Acoustic-Electrice EABC 5-string and my Dean Edge 06Q 6-string and like I said before, no matter what, you're better off setting the tone to neutral. If you do try to use it, it was just sound bad in a different way with each type of bass and pickup. The sound will only suit your style if your style is to sound horrible. Also, it has lately been giving me bad feedback problems and making random popping sounds. // 3

Reliability & Durability: Until recently, and I got it somewhere around 4-5 years ago, it has been reliably bad. No pooping sounds until about a month ago, and the signal was always clear with no problems with anything else. I never left it in any bad environments or anything like that, I took good care of it. I mean, IF I had to use it at a gig, I would not need to bother bringing a backup. So, maybe its durability is its one redeeming quality. // 8

Overall Impression: I'm just a regular everyday bassist, so my impression is not of monumental importance really. However, I do play a lot from Jazz to Blues to Rock, Grunge, and the occasional Metal. This bass is not really recommended for any of those styles, or any other styles of music. I have been playing for about 6 years now, and been playing music on other instruments for almost 10 years. I own a Fender Rumble 15 combo amp, and handful of guitars, basses, bass pedals, and other acoustic instruments such as the violin and ukulele. Had I known then what I know now I would never even gone near the amp. I would NOT replace this amp with another one, rather than a quality combo amp. There is really nothing to love about it besides it was my first "big" amp, so I guess some slight nostalgia. I hate the tone and everything else about it, and I chose it because of the price and at the time I had been tricked into believing Behringer made good equipment. I wish I had compared it with anything before buying it, because I am certain I would have not bought it, and I wish it had good tone, because then that would be $300 better spent. So, overall, unless you're buying it used for about $50, stay away... FAR away! // 4

Comments