Ultrabass BX4500H review by Behringer

Behringer: Ultrabass BX4500H

Purchased from: thomann

Dead easy to get a good sound from this. I did bin off the pedal controls, mainly cos I have no need for them. The manual is comprehensive and available as free download from the website. Behringer don't mess about with meaningless specs either, all ratings are RMS so you really know what you are getting.  I have heard of issues with earth paths being incorrect on some heads but mine was perfect. I have noticed even in the noisiest of power environments I tend to not pick up any hum or clicks in this amp. Any hum etc is usually picked up by my guitars before they hit the amp.

One nice thing with this amp and my current set up is that many people think it wont be man enough for big gigs, but all are surprised just how much this can put out without a huge stack of speakers. To my mind if I can get away without a hernia every time I try to left my cab or head then am a happy bunny but only if it does the job properly. Which this does in buckets.

I came to this from Ashdown and Trace Elliots. The sound is really good from this amp. I have used it in the studio and gigged in endlessley for the last 5 years and it never fails to fill the room. I play mainly pop, dance, funk and rock covers. Noise wise its always been quiet when run into a high efficiency full range speaker setup. The tone is full and bright. To such a degree that I have successfully run electric drums through this in a pro recording studio environment as well as on gigs. Now its mainly used for bass guitar. Whisper quiet fan means I can be miced up in the studio and there is no sounds other than my bass coming from the speaker. I am a pro-musician working in studios and gigging so sound quality is paramount to me as it's my livelyhood.

This amp will last, mine is in use every week. It's gigged 3+ times every week too and has been for the last 5 years. Its been in large venues and pub gigs and never fails to fill the room. Reliability wise I have had no failures as of yet. The sockets and knobs are all intact and working as they should too. The finish is great and 5 years on still looks like new. Compare this to my old Ashdown which failed catastrophically after 12 months with a torroid failure and am a very happy bunny. I need gear that works and wont let me down.

Overall, I love this, the studio engineers never complain about noise from it so recordings always go dead easy and quickly which is vital if I want to get repeat bookings. I get no hum from this or hiss when I drive the treble end. I have used this on electric drums and bass guitar and also an electric guitar and it simply performs really well. If it broke I would buy another immediately. It's dependable and that counts for a lot especially as a pro. Weight wise its lighter than my Ashdown ever was or my Trace Elliot. So lugging to the next gig is a piece of cake. I also have this coupled to a custom built speaker cab with high efficiency drivers which is feather light to carry (even one handed). But even with 120+dB on stage from the rest of the band I still have loads of head room to go louder if necessary.

I think Behringer has a bad reputation for no valid reason. All their gear simply works and works well. Yes they do some cheap stuff, but at the end of the day as in this case their gear does out perform some much more expensive brands and simply lasts. I like this gear so much I now have a P.A mixing desk from Behringer which again is gigged weekly and in 4 years has never let us down. The only downside I see whith the 4500 is it starts to clip really easily if not set right. But then again it's doing its job.