Ultrabass BXL3000A review by Behringer

Behringer: Ultrabass BXL3000A

Mainly thanks to the Precision of the 7-Band EQ, and the compressor this amp has a wide range of sonic possibilities. This amp sounds clear as a bell. It is actually a challenge to get a muddy sound out of it. This is probably due to the aluminum cone speaker. Also due to the lightweight speaker cone design, this amp is remarkably punchy, especially when you consider the size. The weakest point of this amp is the distortion channel. In order to get a respectable sound you have to turn up the gain and shape controls all the way. Needless to say, this doesn't result in much versatility in sound. Overall; despite the clearness of the tone, it can still produce excellent low, punchy bass when using the correct compressor and EQ settings.

Sonically, this amp has almost infinite possibilities. Creating clear, but punchy, barking tone. While most of the effects are good, due to the lack of controls they take large amounts of time to adjust to get a good sound. However the end result is well worth the work. For the working musician this is the perfect alternative for large racks and unwieldy speaker cabinets.

While this amp is rather heavy, weighing in a just over 60 pounds, it is remarkably rugged. The case is built tight as a drum. It doesn't have any kind of play in the joints. The handle is well mounted and doesn't seem like it will really go anywhere. My chief concern with the amp would be in the speaker. I have had many a friend complain that their aluminum cone speaker quits on them at the most inopportune times. This could be an urban Legend. While the speaker did tend to move a lot, even at low volumes, I didn't really think that this would be a cause for speaker problems.

The BXL3000A is a masterful culmination of modern sound, brilliant effects and German engineering. This amp is loaded down with features. Some are more useful than others. But it manages to maintain a good balance between hip effects and huge sound. This amp utilizes a Bugera 15 inch hard attack aluminum cone speaker. While the speaker sounded great, it has gained somewhat of a reputation of failing at inopportune moments. This could be caused by speaker over-extension. However this particular amp held up excellent, even when played at high volumes for long periods. The controls of this amp start with the dual channel volume/fuzz controls. The fuzz channel features 3 controls; Gain, Shape and Level. The gain knob controls the amount of the distortion, while the shape control defines the harshness of the fuzz. Next on the chain is a 7-band parametric EQ with Behringer's exclusive FBQ Technology. The FBQ utilizes LED's in each slider. These LED's light up with varying degrees of brightness based on the energy content of each frequency. This is supposed to help you get a more flat, balanced sound. While this sounds like it could be helpful in theory, in reality the LED's don't light up enough to be helpful. Sometimes not at all. However while it is not the most helpful effect, at least it is quiet. Past the EQ are the Compressor and Ultrabass effects. While the compressor doesn't have very accurate controls, you can adjust it enough to get a very nice punchy sound. The ultrabass on the other hand really seems to rob the amp of all of it's tone. The idea behind the Ultrabass is to take what you are playing and lower it one octave. This, in theory, creates the ever popular studio effect. However, Behringer doesn't seem to completely have this down. When playing all but the slowest bass lines it seems to be late or out of tune. However you can use the blend control to quiet it enough so that it is acceptable. On the back you will find a multitude of other features. These include FX send and returns, CD inputs, DI and line out and a 1/4 jack for the included foot switch.

scarfacesuit
    I have an old 15 watt Behringer and it has worked great for years. Granted, I did upgrade due to the fact that I needed a bigger amp for gigs and whatnot, but my little 15-watt still sounds good regardless.
    danboy65
    had mine for a year n a half, its fine. except for the black material is startin to peel off lol. however, every single behringer pedal i have bought has simply fallen apart...
    AudioMetaRage
    You must really be tough on your amps if it breaks within a year, I've had mine for many years and it can outperform even more expensive amps.
    Vinson
    1/2 of those that bash Behringer are just trying to justify why they spend more on a lesser amp. The other 1/2 actually did break their amps (probably by spilling beer on them) and are very vocal about it. So you hear ALL of the people who had bad issues with it, and only a very small percentage of those who are actually happy with their amp, as it is not fashionable to have a Behringer. If they REALLY broke on average after 7 months, they would have gone out of business LONG LONG ago.
    RICH101
    i have an BXL40 ultra bass i think without looking any way its a 45 watt and sounds rather good. ive had it for a while and still works perfectly and beringher is not cheaply made
    franticc
    DouglasDisaster wrote: I have been playing my BX600 for two years, and have had no problems. The sound quality is excellent, and the construction is solid. There are plenty of Marshalls, Crates, and Peavys that have broken over the years. No amp or manufacturer is perfect, just as no musician is perfect. I also have a pair of Behringer headphones that deliver excellent sound quality. If I was afraid of people laughing at me I never would have gotten my fist gig, or even started playing music. I know plenty of people who have thousands of dollars worth of gear, and still play like SHIT!!
    I have the same amp, and I love it to death. I've had it for about a year and half, and I've had absolutely no problems with it whatsoever. Even my Behringer practice amp still works very well, and I've had that for almost 3 years. I really don't see what all the fuss is about.
    Bottom Dweller
    While I don't own a Behringer, I have been shooping around for a new amp and have checked them out. The ones I have tried all sounded pretty good to me. The thing I have found out from talking to several sales reps from Guitar Center to the local fret shop is they haven't had that many amps returned. When they do get one in, Behringer replaces it with a new one, not a repaired one. That's better service than any of the other's provide. The bottom line is if you want a rig that sounds like Tool or A7...you're not gonna get it for $300.
    slashzsystem
    they can be ALRIGHT in SOME ways ut they are not good quality what so ever
    BassDude2737 wrote: Dude Behringer Bashing is not cool. I really like Behringer shit. they are very high quality.
    Agility22
    I have a Behringer and it aint that bad, gives out a very good tunes, and well, i have just owned it for a year so i really dont know if hes going to last or not XP.
    ~Funky monk~
    one of my friends just got this exact amp... it's 2nd hand and it's still as good as new so i guess it's just how the person uses it... if you mishandle it and drag it off to gigs... then it will just fall apart like people said... treat it well and it'll be fine
    RingoShort
    I have heard many bad things about Behringer, so I was somewhat leery about purchasing one. My previous amp fell off the back of the truck and was damaged to the point where getting the Behringer was going to be less expensive and less time consuming than getting the other one fixed. I purchased the BX300 and the BA410 and loved them from the start. I get a really decent tone out of them, and I am able to go against 2 guitarists with 150w tube amps (and we all know they don't know how to turn down) and am able to get serious stage volume. I have been abusing this rig since February of last year, and it has never quit on me. The only hassle I have had is the 1/4 inch input on the cabinet fell in... luckily, I happen to have a speakon cable, and the BX300 is redundant in this way. I plug 1/4 in to Speakon and away we go. I have been playing songs by Iron Maiden and Queensryche, and other high speed/low drag basslines 4 nights a week for over a year with this and it just keepsa asking me for more... and my guitarists (who ridiculed me for purchasing a Behringer) absolutely love the sound and the volume.
    Xak
    this thing sucks except as a practice amp. the tone is average at low volumes, atrocious at high, it fails randomly, the distortion and ultrabass are crap, and its not really very loud at all.
    trashbeast
    anything you buy from behringer is dead within a year. you might get a solid year out of it, but then it's gone, gaurenteed . like my v-amp
    skater dan0
    i have played behringer amps for a collective time of 15 minutes and 4 have died on me
    DouglasDisaster
    CurbstompBass
    cheapassbassist wrote: I'm planning to buy an amp like that soon, what's wrong with it being a Behringer?
    They're some of the worst amps in the business. They're cheap, but not just in cost. There's a reason they're priced so low. 90% of the time, they will break within a year. And as mentioned above, when they advertise 300 watts, they mean PEAK wattage, not RMS. So you'll probably be getting really about ~100 out of it.
    gravity2905
    ive got one. its pretty damn fine. true about the fuzz channel though, its a bit of a letdown. behringer have a pretty bad name when it comes to reliability. but i put mine through a fair bit (with either bass or keyboards) and its still fine, almost a year on. shop around, cheapassbassist. but i think its a good amp. especially playing a clean tone. its a very clear sound.
    Chickenfrmheck
    skippy_moogoose wrote: meh, it's a behringer it'll screw you over someday and I cant belive Im doin this, but FIRST!!
    not really...i've had my bx1200 amp for almost a year and it still works perfectly.
    WhyLater
    Deliriumbassist wrote: 300w PEAK. You'll rarely get the 300w advertised.
    Thank you Delirium, you beat me to it. I don't know if my 100w SWR will get QUITE as loud, but I know it sounds better.
    comesfromfire
    I've got one of these bass amps for almost 2 years now and I've put it through a hammering through a number of bands, and it works amazingly well definetly good for giging, I used it for a demonstration of my schools music department at a school awards ceremony at the perth concert hall, it over powered 5 guitars and 3 drum kits. I love this bass amp
    K_Parker
    I learned my lesson from Behringer, after 4 months is died, I will never touch one again. (Plus the ones I have played sounded like shit)
    distorted-ness
    i have a behringer... its pretty decient... infact, i dont see what the big problem with the brand.. like, i probably don't because ive got a somewhat good one, but maybe thats just me (ps. the one i use is the behringer blue devil, and sometimes i mix it with a small nova amp.)
    johnny blue
    I've learned from experience with these amps that they suck, the input jack keeps getting loose and ****en up and cuttin me off, the tone is horrible, I had to buy a few multi-effect pedals to make it sound acceptable. Dont buy Behringer.
    +1,i had the same problems with mine
    BassDude2737
    Zar938
    behringer is the exact opposite of high quality. I've had good luck with mine, they haven't broken, but the tone i get from them is terrible, i would rather plug my bass straight into a set of $5 headphones, than listen to the behringer. I don't care if behringer bashing "isn't cool" anyone with any sort of experience with amps will tell you not to buy behringer products, it's just stupid to say otherwise. If something's too good to be true, it probably is.
    redhawk1029
    I got the behringer ulta bass head (forget exactly what type tho) and it was good for awhile, but after about a year in a half it messed up on me. I can only turn the gain and the output to about half way before I get a high pitched squeal. I've no idea why it does that (if you know can you pleas give me an answer?) I'd seriouslly recommend not buying one unless your normal amp head goes down and you need another bass head on the cheap.
    Ali-b912
    Zar938 wrote: I don't care if behringer bashing "isn't cool" anyone with any sort of experience with amps will tell you not to buy behringer products
    one of my local shops is endorsed by behringer and they tell you not to buy the amps. here is a list of why behringer arent great at stuff 1. unreliability. even if yours works more then a year, everyone elses died at 7 months. 2. sound quality. they never sound very good. the sound isnt worth the amp. the practise amps sound like my semi-blown mini marshall amp. 3. build quality. ive seen behringer amps with more missing parts then the 20 year old crates at my school 4. bullshitting. we all know the stupid wattage issues they have. 5. everyone laughs at you. seriously, they do.
    DamageMachine
    Satan Man
    Ive got the 1800A n its a ****in bitchin amp. Yh the distortions crap, buts its an awesome amp. for 300 the 3000A is deffo worth it