Ultrabass BXL450 review by Behringer

Behringer: Ultrabass BXL450

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

The amp has good quality sound. The clean channel stays clean at high volumes and with high gain. It has a very limited amount of white noise that is admitted at high volumes unfortunately, but it would be impossible to notice while playing at these volumes. The distortion is fairly strong but leaves a little to be desired for some of the more hardcore styles of music. Also, it has the tendency to receive a small amount of feedback when the gain is turned all the way up. I'm not sure what causes this, but I notice it stops when you put you hand on ANY string without touching the others. It does this on occasion but rarely enough that it won't really be a pain. All in all the sound is what you'd expect.

The amp is very versatile and allows for a lot of growth. This is an ideal amp to start on and that's exactly what I did. I wouldn't hesitate to get this amp again and more than likely will keep this amp as a practice amp when I upgrade to probably another Behringer. The main draw of the amp is the amount of power and the size of the speaker you get for the price. There is nothing close to it's tech specs at it's price. I wouldn't recommend making this you're main amp after a few years or using it at gigs larger than a 100 people. With that said, I don't think you can find a better amp cheaper than this one.

The Amp is rock solid. It has a wedge shape that allows it lay back and project out at an angle. The bonus of this feature is if you bump into it and knock it over, it will roll as oppose to fall over and potentially damage the amp. I have yet to have to service the amp and it's quality has yet to deteriorate after a few months of use.

The Ultrabass BXL450 Bass Amp has a 10 inch speaker with a 45 watt power supply. As far as I can tell, it has twice as much wattage as amps of the same price. It has two channels, clean and distortion. The clean channel comes with gain control. The distortion channel comes with gain, shape (type of sound) and level(amount of distortion) control. The Amp also features a 5 band equalizer and a headphone jack. The amp has a lot of features considering what you pay for. Personally, I don't use the equalizer because it has it's own separate clean channel and can't be used with the distortion. The amp has tremendous volume for a "practice amp". It could probably hold up in small gigs but you might as well spend the extra 50 bucks for the 90 watt model at that point. Features all work as advertised. The only complaint is that I wish the equalizer was always active so it could be used on the distortion channel.

Hakael
    Be careful with Behringer as their descriptions can be misleading. Amp manufacturer's usually list their amp wattage in RMS. Behringer likes to state their PEAK wattage instead of RMS which makes them look a lot more powerful than they really are. The employees at the GC I like to go to don't even like to sell these if they can help it, cheap or not.
    SOAD316
    i dont care, to ampegs are still the best i play a BA 115T. its beautiful. it absolutly shakes the earth and i think it could knock u down if u really tried
    Gorgutz
    I also have this amp, and I think its pretty good. Why exactly does everyone hate it so much?
    TromboneThunder
    jean_genie
    TromboneThunder wrote: Sounds about the equivalent of my Crate practice amp. 10 inch 45 watt clean and distortion... very similar.
    For 150 bucks, it could be anything. I owned a Behringer UltraBass a while ago. It had a chip in it that was supposed to shut down the amp when the speaker was in danger of being damaged ... sort of like a solid-state fuse. But then the chip blew. And a new one plus install was like $130. The warranty didn't cover it, even though it was obviously faulty manufacture, since it was over a year old. By about three months. I wouldn't say I'd never buy another Behringer, but they'd have to be almost giving them away. Oh, and that 'white noise that goes away when you touch the drings' sounds like a grounding or parts quality issue somewhere. If it's a very small problem, it won't show up until the gain goes way up. It's about 80% likely to be the amp's fault, 15% likely to be the cable, and about 5% likely to be the bass itself.
    Cmitch4
    I've heard a lot of issues associated with Behringers here on the this site but not really anywhere else. This is just suppose to be a practice amp for me. If it craps out, I won't care that much because I needed a cheap amp with some good power to it since I'm on a budget. If you've been playing for a while and have plenty of cash to spend, look at a different amps. I was planning on getting a better amp after the summer when I have more cash.
    lildude_6859
    I bought this amp, and it works for now...the clean channel is crap on it...I get a better clean on the distortion channel because there is more to edit with the sound. It took me like an hour and a half to get a good clean out of it too...I would not recommend this to anybody as a permanent amp, it is just not very great.
    Skridbjorn
    Also depends on what u plug INTO the Ultrabass! Any amplifier can only amp up whatever's plugged into it!
    patikemismrde223
    I have the amp for 2 years and i must say i love it,and i agree on that ur bass has more influence on the sound than the amp itslef ,my custom made jazz with bartolini pups sounds amazing trough it