Ultrabass BXR1800H Review

manufacturer: Behringer date: 02/11/2010 category: Bass Amplifiers
Behringer: Ultrabass BXR1800H
This isn't just a killer amp, it's a whole arsenal of tone-enhancing tools you shouldn't hit the stage without. The Ultrabass BXR1800H bass head is ultra-compact in design yet packs a pile of awesome features to give your bass the quality sound it deserves.
 8.1
 8.9
 7.2
 3,957
reviews (3) pictures (1) 15 comments vote for this gear:
Ultrabass BXR1800H Reviewed by: Freunleven, on april 21, 2008

Sound: We're using a 1984-ish Kramer, an OLP MM3 5-string, an old Ibanez 4-string with passive pickups, and a newer Ibanez 4-string with active pickups (Soundgear, I believe); through a custom-built 2x12 cabinet. I honestly believe that, having used all these different basses on a wide range of songs over several hours, that it will suit just about any musical style. There was humming, no buzzing, no excess noise of any kind from the amp. It was beautiful in its brutality. A little bit of tweaking on the EQ, and it's close to perfect for anything you can imagine. // 9

Reliability & Durability: We had the head in the trunk of the car on the way home, still in the box, and nothing securing it in place. At about 60mph, I had to slam on the brakes and swerve to avoid a deer, sending the box flying around in the trunk. We got home, took it out of the box, and plugged it in. It worked perfectly. It lasted several hours in an unventilated garage, up over 70 degrees Fahrenheit without overheating. It have no doubts in this head. // 9

Overall Impression: We found this head while returning a craptacular Ampeg BA115. Originally, the salesman didn't want to sell us a head, because we already had a 2x12 cabinet, and he didn't want to get a smaller commission check. So, even though he tried his very best to talk us out of it, we got the BXR1800H, and I don't feel any regrets. I was personally impressed that it came with the footswitch, I had to buy a separate Switch for my guitar amp. That the distortion and Ultrabass are controlled by the footswitch means that we're not going to have to get anything else for the bass end of things for a while, which is an excellent value. We did compare to a few G-K heads, one of with was the Backline 600, but this 180w seemed to be kicking out more sound than that 300w. If this amp were stolen, I would hunt down the person who took it and, well, let's not incriminate myself. It's a truly awesome piece of equipment for the price. // 9

Ultrabass BXR1800H Reviewed by: Lemurs4mangos, on april 29, 2009

Purchased from: Guitar Center (Online)

Sound: I am at the moment using a Fender P-Bass with this head, but I have used a Traben Array 5-string with it. Both get a full sound. I am in a metal band and it suites my style quite well, on the second channel with full gain. I don't really get anything for exess noise out of it. Although, the head does have a fan (plus) not very loud but if the volums is turned down low you can hear it a bit. I do a lot of pops, chords, and tremlos in my playing, and (with the way I have my EQ set) It works almost perfectly with each type. The clean channel does somewhat get a little distorted at high volume, but I really don't mind myself since I am in a metal band. But it can get a bit obnoxious when trying to play clean riffs/intros. The distortion isn't too brutal, I mean it's a high almost guitar type distortion, and it, again, suites my type of music. I'd definately reccomend a good distortion pedal though if you want to get a really grinding sound. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Again the head does have a fan and I have played in New Mexico heat with strobes and fog machine in for about 5 hours straight and it never even got hot. I would definately rely on this, and use it without a backup. It has never broken down, even though I have only had it a couple months, But I don't like hit it or anything. I have accidentially smashed it into a wall corner though. But it still works just fine. // 10

Overall Impression: The head works great for metal, and rock music. I have been playing for about 1.5 years and I am self-taught. I've been in a band since the day I got my bass. I own a Fender P-Bass, a BP-180 Effects POD, a Fender Rumble 35 Practice amp, and this head. I play bouth finger-style and picking. I would definately buy another if it were lost/stolen. My personal favorite part of it is the "See What You Play" function. It allows you to easily figure out what to do with the EQ and how to get the sound you want. I chose this one from price (cheapist good one I could find) and good reviews. I also very hightly trust the Behringer Brand. // 9

Ultrabass BXR1800H Reviewed by: 6stringbassist, on february 11, 2010

Sound: I'm using an ESP B-206SM with active EMG's in it. It's really actually very quiet. It's hard to pick up the fan running on it even. It's got a good variety of sounds. I can get a clean warm sound, all the way to crunchy distortion. The clean channel never distorts, and I crank it pretty hard some times. The distortion isn't as brutal as you could get out of a pedal, but I'm happy with it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I will depend on this amp for a long time. At last another year or so. I will be gigging without a back up, and I believe it will do me good. The amp has yet to break down on me. I've been using it for about 5 months or so, and it's still going solid. // 8

Overall Impression: This head is great for just about any genre you want to play. It's a good head to pick up if you don't have a ton of money to spend on gear. I wouldn't need to ask anything upon buying this. It is a Behringer, and they do have a bad rep, but not from me so far. If it was lost or stolen, I would save up for a Peavey Tour 450, I need to upgrade to something with more power soon anyway, because touring will present me with different venues that might require more power then this can offer. I hate the single very small handle on it. I love everything else on this amp. I can't compare it to anything else because there's nothing else I can find in it's price range. If it had an onboard Tuner it would be PERFECT. // 8

Comments