BT100 review by Crate

• Reviewer's score: 4.8 Poor
Crate: BT100

Purchased from: Mothers Music

I use a Barracuda Bass, it's a crapy attempt at a Fender J. Because my bass is a bad bass, I can't get a decent tone out of the amp for things like slapping, but the the amp is definitley good for funk, blues, rock, or anything. It's really nice when it works. The distortion is far too nasty to do any real music with.

I've been playing for 5 years now. I've been through 3 Bass amps, and this is the worst one yet. My first was my TNT100 by Peavey. The sound was horrible, but it never died until ironically, it blew on the song "TNT" with that hard E. I also own a Peavey practice amp, which is an awesome little amp. The Crate however, is a cumbersome piece of crap, with incredible sound. It reminds me of my old girlfriend. Great to play with, heavy, but very unreliable. Sounds great, runs like crap. I wish it had wheels, and a small motor to drive itself places.

It's far too heavy. 100lbs I believe. I absolutely swear against any purchasing of this amp, as it has caused me nothing but trouble (God bless warranty). I'm extremely careful with it, and the damn thing breaks down like every week, and then I'm stuck in the bind, as an unreliable bassist. I definitley need a backup. As for structural durability, I think you could probably set a car on top of it, and it would hold it up. However, functionally, the amp is humungously unreliable. Do not buy.

My Crate was built in 2002. It is very versatile, and has a very flexible tone. I play alot of classic rock, and a lot of blues, and it gets the deep, hefty tone I look for. It has 2.5 channels. Clean, distorted, and on both, you can have the "octave" effect. The distorted channel is far too dirty for the music I play, and I can't seem to clean it up with any tweeking. It comes with a foot switch, that I never use. It's my gig amp, and I have no back up, I also jam with it. It has more than enough power to get the noise out there!

Tanman_88
    The people at crate told me that they undersized some resistor, or fuse.. it had a 0.1 size fuse... and it should've had an 8.0.....because the idiots at crate dont know how to build amps. Fortunatley, mine has the 8.0 fuse....Im pretty sure it wasnt a fuse though... a resistor or something.. i forget... now the amp is better.